Chapter 2

Koharu was one to never forget.

She would never forget the face of her mother, who had urgently ushered her into a barrel of pretty, purple flowers. She would never forget the last words she had spoken to her, still melodic and soothing when there was evident fear in her eyes.

She would never forget the way her mother cried for the first time, hugging her tightly before saying a goodbye, a goodbye that felt so final.

She would never forget the fires, the burns, the screams. She would never forget the faces of the monsters that teared the people apart limb from limb, cackling in joy as blood spilled to the ground.

Yet out of all the things she saw that day, all the things she would surely forever remember,

She wished to forget the face of the man that saved her from the rubble.

It was worse than the smiling faces of the monsters, it was one that contorted from hope to disgust, it was one that was so cold, it could rival the fire that burned down the village.

It was one she wished, oh so hard, to forget.

Yet it would be a memory that she would carve into her mind forever.

The man had been calling out an unfamiliar name as he removed the pile of wood above her. Fuji, he had cried, a cry so desperate and hopeful, that moment she wished she hadn't cried for help.

The two stayed in silence for a while, and every second that ticked by Koharu wished she could just disappear. But before she could even contemplate on making that thought a reality, she saw a calloused hand reach out to her, to which she shrunk away from.

The man spoke no words.

His hand continued to stay in front of her, and she hesitantly took it with her own, battered fingers. The man raised her to her feet, to which she winced silently upon the sudden action, legs wobbly and arms sore.

Once she could stand on her own, the man let go of her arm, squatting down with his back to her and arms reached back. Koharu cautiously approached, slowly hopping onto the man's back and securing her arms around his neck.

The man spoke no words.

He soon raised himself from the ground, beginning to trudge silently out from the village into the woods, presumably working towards a destination unknown to her. She could feel her consciousness slowly slipping away, eye lids dropping at the wave of tiredness that came over her.

The man spoke no words, so she entered a quiet slumber.

-------------------------
Word count: 438

Chapter status: renewed [7/15/2022]

Thank you for reading ^^