Poodle Skirts and Drive-Ins

{TW: gay and trans slurs} -very brief and will be censored
🚨 IF YOU DID NOT READ THE LITTLE 50s SLANG CHAPTER BEFORE THIS, PLEASE DO SO NOW 🚨
Expensive Headphones
Third Person POV
1950s AU

Michael walks up to his locker after school and puts in the combination. When he opens it, a piece of paper falls to his feet. He picks it up and opens in

Mike,

Come over and let yourself in.
I have a surprise for you <3

-Richie

Michael smiles as he puts the note in his pocket and puts his books away. He places any necessary books into his school bag and shuts his locker.

~timeskip brought to you by Hound Dog by Elvis~

Michael parks his car outside of Rich's house and kills the engine. He gets out of the car and walks up to Rich's front door. He's about to knock, but he remembers that the note told him to let himself in, so he does. When he notices that Rich isn't in the kitchen or living room, he goes upstairs to check Rich's bedroom next. Michael knocks on the door and waits for a response.

"Come in," Rich calls from inside the room. Michael opens the door to a sight he'd never thought he would see. Rich is wearing a white t-shirt, much like the one he was wearing at school that day. However, unlike the blue jeans he was wearing at school, his t-shirt is paired with a dark red poodle skirt. "Hey bean!" Rich turns his attention away from his reflection in the mirror and smiles at Michael.

"Hey," Michael says in shock. He closes the door behind him and walks up behind Rich and wraps his arms around the shorter boy.

"Whadaya think?"

"I think you lookin good, baby. A true dreamboat."

"Aw, thanks, Mike." Rich leans into Michael's embrace.

"With your skirt and my jacket, we'd been the baddest pair out there." Michael rests his cheek against the side of Rich's head, taking in how beautiful his boyfriend looks. "What's got you all chrome-plated? Cause I know you ain't only doin this for me." Rich turns around in Michael's arms and places his hands on Michael's chest.

"I wanna go on a date," Rich states firmly.

"Whadaya have in mind?" Michael asks, placing his forehead against Rich's.

Rich laughs lightly and says, "A drive-in. Maybe a little back seat bingo." Michael's face breaks out into a huge smile.

"Neckin with my baby at the passion pit? Don't mind if I do!" Rich tilts his head up and presses a quick kiss to Michael's lips.

"Let's go then." Rich grabs Michael's hand and starts to walk out of the room. Michael stops him and turns Rich to face him.

"Aye aren't chu gonna change first?" Michael asks. Rich raises an eyebrow at him and pulls his hand away.

"I wasn't plannin on it." Rich crosses his arms.

"You musta filpped your lid if you think you can go out like that! You'd be a total fream," Michael states in a loud voice. Rich's eyes widen at the name Michael called him. "I already get beat on for being a f*g. Don't need people thinking I'm on the hook with a tr**ny." Michael tries to seem sincere despite his strong language. He walks closer to Rich and places his hand on Rich's arms.

"Yknow what? Why don't you put an egg in your shoe and beat it. I don't wanna see you no more." Rich pushes Michael away from him and walks to the other side of the room, where his blue jeans were. He steps into them and bends over to pull them up.

"Hey, I didn't mean to rattle your cage."

"Well ya did, Mike, and now I'm mad at chu." Rich slides the skirt off, throwing it on top of his dresser. He walks over to his bed and sits down, crossing his arms in frustration. Michael frowns as he joins Rich on the bed.

"Richie, c'mon look at me." Rich keeps his eyes pointed downward. "You know I'm real gone for you. I don't want no bird dog tryna take you from me thinkin you some easy fuzzy duck."

"I ain't no chick," Rich mumbles.

"I know you ain't, babe." Michael wraps his arm around Rich, pulling him closer. Rich gives in and rests his head on Michael's shoulder. "I don't want you thinkin I'm not cool wit chu wearin a skirt. I can't say how hot you look wearin that. Hell, I'll go buy you all the skirts you want. Skirts, dresses, blouses, whateva."

"Really?" Rich asks.

"Yeah. You ain't gonna catch me lightin up no tilt sign. But just cuz I like it don't mean those riffraffs gonna like it too."

"So you don't think I'm an odd ball?" Rich lifts his head and looks at Michael.

"Oh you're an odd ball alright," Michael laughs. "But you're my odd ball." He leans in and kisses Rich's forehead. "You still wanna go out?"

"Yeah."

"Well then, let's go make the scene!"

{835 words}
(If the slang in this one shot confused you in any way please feel free to watch The Outsiders and come back!)