04

The room goes silent as Riven and Chloe stare at each other, it was like I could cut the tension with a knife.

I debate with myself on whether or not I should say something, but every possibly just seems stupid.

"I should get going..." Riven says placing the cup down on the counter and stands up. "I'm sorry that I troubled you Miss Lightwood."

He politely bows to me.

Wow, he really was raised to be well-mannered.

I notice that he refuses to make any eye contact with Chloe and vice versa. It made me question what could have happened between them, from what Chloe told me she genuinely cared for Riven... but could there be more?

"Riven-" Chloe stands in front of him blocking his way of leaving. "I know you're angry but there wasn't anything that could have gone differently."

I keep my distance between them but watch with intensity.

What does she mean?

Riven stands up and looks at me, I jolt back as he stares at me for what felt like forever.

"Thank you," he says in a soft voice. "For everything..."

He proceeds out of the apartment not looking at Chloe for a moment, I wondered what could have happened between them. Chloe seemed to care for Riven like a mother and yet his distance towards her was cold.

He walked out the door closing it behind him, something inside me wanted to run after him. I grab the door before it shuts completely and notice him fumbling with his keys.

I approach him and take the keys from his hand; he looks at me and looks back down at the keys. I open the door and push it open for him; he again looks at me a bit confused.

"You look like you needed some help..." I say looking away shyly.

"Why did you follow me when you clearly have a guest?"

I look up at him noticing he's giving a glare.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay, is that a problem?"

He scoffs and walks into his apartment without another word, he attempts to shut the door behind him but stops with the palm of my hand. Riven turns around immediately to see me standing in his place.

"You know that's considered trespassing, right?" he hisses at me. "I could have you arrested."

"Oh bite me," I snap back. "And save that tough-guy act for someone else, if you really wanted to do that you would have already, but considering you came into my place without my permission... I think this makes us even."

I step inside and slam the door shut behind me. Riven rolls his eyes and takes off his shoes while turning his back to me.

"Why are you acting like this now?" I say softly watching him. "You seemed a lot nicer last night..."

"Yeah well drinking will do that," he scoffs at my words. "It makes a shit person nicer and a sad person happier, magic isn't it?"

Riven walks over to a little bar table grabbing a short glass and pouring a bit of what appeared to be whiskey into it. He turns around to look at me and cheers me in the air before taking a sip.

I walk over to him annoyed, grabbing the glass out of his hand and holding it behind me.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Riven growls at me.

"What do you think you're doing?" I shout back. "It's not even noon and you're drinking, have you lost your mind?"

"Last time I checked I didn't need your approval for what I want to do, so hand it over."