15

It's been a little over a week since that night, things had ended normally and Riven and I continued on with our lives. I still work with Riven but things are definitely not as they used to be...

Knock Knock

"Come in," I hear a voice from behind the door.

"Excuse me, Mr. Danton," I say, opening the door. "I have the files you asked for, and I need you to sign off on a few things for your father."

"Sure." Riven says as I walk over to him and place the files on his desk."What is this about?"

"Apparently your father wants to have you deal with the-"

"I'm not talking about the file," Riven says bluntly, cutting me off. He stands up and walks around his desk until we're standing face to face. "Why are you still acting like this?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say looking into his eyes. "I'm just trying to do my job, isn't that why I'm here?"

He looks at me for a moment and sighs.

"Let me sign those papers for you," he leans over grabbing his pen. "I would hate to keep you here more than you want to be."

Yeah, things were definitely still tense between us, but I had no idea why. I wasn't angry with him but a part of me just wanted to avoid him as much as possible. But obviously, that wasn't working out considering he was technically my boss.

I wish we could go back to how things were but there was just too much distance.

"Here," he says, handing me the files. Our hands touch and we look at each other not saying anything, as I open my mouth to finally speak there's a loud crash through the door.

"RIVEN HELP ME!" Alisha screams running through the door and hiding behind him. "He's following me!"

"Following you?" Riven says confused. "Who is it?"

"Who do you think?" she says annoyed, still hiding behind him.

Suddenly a man who appeared to be Riven's age walked in, dressed extremely casually and with a bright smile on his face.

"Hey man," he says cheerfully. "Did Alisha run in here?"

Riven steps aside and exposes Alisha's hiding spot, her eyes widen as she sees Riven calmly walking away.

"You jerk!" she shouts at him. "That's how you repay me for being a great big sister?!"

Riven smirk and simply shrugs his shoulders as the man at door approaches Alisha.

"For you my darling," he says, handing her a rose.

"Oh great, another rose I can throw in the trash!"

"Alisha!" I say surprised. "Isn't that a bit harsh?"

"Trust me, if you know him then you'd know he has another dozen in his car for some other chick," she says throwing the rose aggressively in the trash. "I told you not to come here anymore, the only reason I haven't called security is because you're his best friend!"

"Best friend?"

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he says taking my hand and kissing it. "And who might you be?"

"She's my assistant and I'd appreciate it if you didn't touch her like that!" Riven growls from the other side of the room. "You might have just gotten back but I won't tolerate that behavior, Kai."

"Yikes who put nails in your cereal this morning?" he says looking back at Riven before looking at me again. "My name is Kai and what's yours?"

"V- Violet," I say pulling my hand away and glancing over at Riven. "It's nice to meet you, but I'm surprised, Riven never mentioned you before."