10

I pulled myself away from Xavier and once again stared into his ocean blue eyes, it felt like everything was at a standstill.

Was this wrong or even a mistake?

How could it be? Riven and I weren't together and yet I feel as if... I've done something that can never be taken back.

"Violet?"

I whip my head around as I hear my name come from outside, I push myself off Xavier and go to the voice but Xavier holds on to my hand.

"What are you doing," I say looking back at Xavier. "Don't you hear he's calling me?"

Xavier approaches me wrapping one of his arms around my waist and he leans down to my ear.

"You just kissed his brother and you're still running to him," my eyes widened at the realization. "How do you think he'll feel when he finds out?"

The door opens and I hear Riven's voice loud and clear.

"What the hell is going on in here?"

"Riven I-"

Before I'm able to finish my sentence Riven walks right up to me and pulls me away from Xavier, glaring at him he holds me close and I'm taken by surprise.

This definitely wasn't the first time Riven got defensive when Xavier was around me but something felt off. I brush it off almost immediately thinking it was because of their argument earlier.

"Come on let's get out of here," Riven says as he looks down at me. "We've got work to do."

"Ouch," Xavier chuckles. "You're not even going to ask what happened between me and your little assistant?"

Xavier was intentionally harassing Riven, but for some reason, Riven wasn't paying much attention to him.

"If you think I believe a word coming out of your mouth, you're highly mistaken," Riven turns his back to Xavier still holding me close ready to leave. "Your intentions always have an ulterior motive and it's clear you're forgetting I know about that side of you too well."

Riven and I walk to the door when suddenly Xavier grabs my hand from behind, Riven turns back almost immediately and scowls at Xavier, it almost felt as if they were subliminally fighting over me.

"You have no idea how lucky you really are," Xavier says leaning down to my ear from behind me. "I'm wondering if you'd be okay sharing her with me sometimes?"

I hesitantly looked away from Riven as the thought of kissing Xavier appeared in my head, Riven didn't know exactly what happened but that didn't stop Xavier from giving every possible hint.

Riven holds out his hand to me, I place my much smaller hand in his and walk towards him. Riven doesn't say anything but instead walks me to the door and even holds it open to have me leave first. Once we're out of the room I watch Riven turn his head back to Xavier, as he speaks...

"Miss Lightwood is off-limits to you," Riven says calmly. "The next time you want to see her privately, you ask me and I'll make sure to reject you to your face."

Riven slams the door shut and we both walk back to the lobby considering his office was on the other end of the building. He doesn't really say much to me, the first thing that comes to my mind is that he's angry and probably hates me.

Riven stops at the receptionist desk in front of the entrance doors.

"Why did you go to see him?" Riven says turning around to look at me. "Why did you go to Xavier's office?"

"Well, I... I just wanted to make sure he was okay."

"Make sure he's okay," Riven says confused. "I don't understand?"