06

I stand with a blank look on my face.

Riven was standing in front of me with the exact same expression, the room went completely silent and we just continued looking at each other.

"Is there something wrong?" Christopher says curiously.

Riven closes his eyes looking down at the floor and letting out a sigh before looking past me.

"I don't know dad," he says annoyed. "Why don't you tell me what she's doing here and then we'll see if something's wrong."

Oh boy.

"I just hired Miss Lightwood as your new assistant," his father says without any hesitation. "I assume you both know each other?"

"This has to be a joke," Riven says as he gets irritated. "You find out that I got a new neighbor and now she's here as my assistant, that's some coincidence!"

Riven turned his attention back on to me and I flinched at his glare.

"And what about you?"

"M- Me?" I say hesitantly.

"Was this your big plan, get close with me and then worm your way in here," Riven says with hatred in his voice. "Just when I let my guard down this is what you do!"

"Riven!" Christopher shouts angrily.

"No, it's fine..." I say looking back at him. "Thank you for taking time out of your day to have this interview sir, but it looks like I'll have to refuse the job."

I turn and look at Riven who has his arms crossed looking at me intensely.

"As for you," I shout at Riven. "I didn't know you were his son or that I would be working for you! I applied for this job before I even met you, so don't assume I did this to get close to you."

Riven continues to scowl at me.

"And if you really want to be a jerk, then fine I'll be one too," I step up to Riven's face and look at him as he looks down to me. "I actually thought you were a good person, but it looks like you're determined to prove you're not and I regret letting you into my place or even my life!"

Riven's eyes widen at my words, I walk past Riven brushing his shoulder before walking out the door and slamming it behind me.

I leaned against the door and could barely hear their conversation, the only thing I could make out was his father's voice. "I hope you're happy now."

I let out a disappointing sigh walking into the elevator and watch as the doors close and that office door is no longer in my view.

***

As I walk outside I suddenly bump into someone.

Ouch!

I looked up to see a tall dashing man, for a moment he looked like Riven but different. He was much older and definitely gave off a mature charm to him.

He gazed down at me as I was still looking at him with my big doll eyes, he was stern and didn't smile, not even once.

"Are you finished," he asks. "Or are you planning to stand in my way all day?"

"Oh! I um..."

I immediately step aside and out of the man's way; he takes a step forward and pauses in front of me and turns his head.

"I haven't seen you before, why are you here?" His words hit me like shards of ice, with no hesitation he asks me and appears to be demanding an answer. "What business do you possibly have with the Danton family?"

"Well, I um..." I hesitate trying not to give the wrong answer. "It's nothing really."

I look away from the man, however taking his hand he places it under my chin and turns my head to face him forcefully.

"You're that girl, aren't you?" His eyes grew dark.

"E- Excuse me?"

"The girl that moved in next door to Riven," he continues with his hand still under my chin. "The one that he seems to have his interest set on."

He brings his face closer to me almost as if he was about to kiss me, I stand there completely shocked but push him away at the last minute.

"Stop," I shout loudly. "W- What do you think you're doing? I don't even know you!"

He smirks.

"Indeed," he says walking back to me. "But now you've given me a reason for wanting to know you."

"Why don't you back off before I punch you in the face?"

The man sighs and I immediately turn to the voice, to see Riven standing by the entrance doors with a furious look on his face as he walks down the steps and rushes over to me.

Taking my hand, he pulls me to his side and stands in front of me.

"You really know how to ruin the moment," the man says turning his attention to Riven. "I just wanted to get to know your little friend, is that so wrong?"

"I don't give a damn what you wanted; you made her uncomfortable," Riven says angrily. "So why don't you go and do your job."

"Gladly."

The man walks past Riven and sees me standing behind him, Riven throws his arm in front of me as a defense. The man smirks and continues up the stairs with my eyes still set on him.

He stops at the doors and turns back to look at me.

"By the way, miss, my name is Xavier," he says with a devilish grin. "Xavier Danton."

Danton! Then that means he's...

I whip my head back to Riven who still looks extremely furious with Xavier, he doesn't take his eyes off of him until he is out of our sight.

Riven lowers his arm and walks away from me letting out a disappointing sigh.

I watch him run his hand through his hair completely irritated and stressed, I stand there for a moment giving myself to collect my thoughts.

Riven turns around and looks at me with a disappointing look, as the question finally leaves my mouth.

"He's your brother... isn't he?"

Riven looks away from me and looks at the building.

"To me, he is, but in his eyes..." Riven looks back at me with a saddened look. "I'm nothing more than his father's bastard child."

Please vote by tapping your screen and clicking the star in the bottom left corner if you're enjoying this story! ☆♡