chapter one

I gaze at the towering McDuck Manor, only proffering me more anxiety than when I found out that I got this job. I exhale, studying the elaborately designed courtyard that welcomes its visitors to the mansion. "Well, here goes nothing," I mumble, strolling past my anxiety.

I halt right before a giant golden dollar sign. "Mr. McDee with his money," I sigh, deliberately wandering around it.

I begin to wonder about what kind of adventures Mr. McDuck traveled on when he was still an adventurer.

Soon I nearly bump into the front door of the manor. I take a deep breath and knock on the door.

    A tall and venerable duck rasps the door open, a smile painted on her face. Then she opens the door wide enough so I can fit inside. I look at what I'm able to, regarding a staircase at the other end of the room.

"Hello," she says, "I'm Mrs. Beakley. Welcome to McDuck Manor."

"Hi!" I say, fidgeting with my jacket. "I was hired as an assistant housemaid."

She pauses for a second, then opens her eyes wider. "Oh, yes! Come in!" she says, moving so I can walk in. I gently step inside, regarding in the towering canopy and Scrooge paintings that hang around the manor. A man emerges with what seems to be a pilot behind him.

The man looks up at me, grinning. "Hello! You must be Elora!" he says happily. "I'm Scrooge McDuck."

"Hi there," I reply, holding out my hand. Mr. McDuck grasps it, firmly shaking it.

He has a solid hand. I like that, I think.

"I hope you relished your journey here, Ms. McLand," he says.

"I did, honestly, Mr. McDuck. Thank you."

He grins, taking a small step back. "That's great! And before I forget, I want you to meet my pilot, Launchpad."

As we let go of each other's hands, I look up at the pilot behind him. His tall and muscular frame makes me feel like a small pebble. The pilot's blue eyes gaze into mine. I smile at him, making the young man's cheeks become like a pale cherry.

    "H-hi, I'm L-Launchpad," he stammers.

    I giggle. "Hello. I'm Elora."

Mr. McDuck switches his focus between us, then motions Mrs. Beakley to leave. "Show her around, Launchpad. I have work to do. Mrs. Beakley, can you please check on my nephews?"

Launchpad nods, a slight angle forming on his mouth. "Will do."

Mrs. Beakley closes the door and shuffles off. Mr. McDuck strolls past Launchpad and up the staircase that lay on the other side of the room.

I glance at the tall man before me, who seems to have become a statue. As if on cue, we meet each others gaze, making my cheeks burn. He smiles just as I do. I giggle. "So, are you a pilot?" I ask.

He nods slowly, trying not to blush. "Uh, y-yeah. I've been working for Mr. McDee for a while now."

"Oh really?" I say, walking past him and near the stairs on the other side of the room. "I've always liked pilots."