chapter four

I awake in a forest, grey trees hovering over me like souls wondering why I wasn't dead. Slowly sitting up, I glance around at the misty fog that creeps on the floor. "Uh," I mutter, "I don't remember going to sleep in a forest, much less one that seems this disturbing."

A twig cracks in the distance. Shivers jolt up and down my backbone as I align my back. Another twig cracks, this time closer. My body shakes profoundly, my heart pounding louder and harder than when I have an ordinary panic attack. "Who are you?" an eerie voice echoes from behind me.

I concentrate on my breathing, attempting to manage it. "I should be asking you that question," I squeak.

Mist molds in front of me, transforming into a rather adolescent lady, with a scar under her left eye. I gasp, touching the scar under my right eye, remembering the rather destructive enemy that caused it.

"I'm your mother," the lady says, "and I've been watching over you since the day Mark Beaks killed me."

I hesitate, stepping back. "Mother was killed by Glomgold," I mutter. "You're not my mother."

She nods, grinning evilly. "It's been so long." She glides toward me, arms wide open.

I back away from her, now remembering who she is. "You aided in my parents' demise! You kidnapped me when I was nothing but an innocent child!"

The floating apparition halts, her arms dropping. "I helped save them!"

"Tell that to my dead parents!" I yell.

I jolt upright in my bed, breathing heavily and heartbeat pounding rapidly. I let out a tiny scream, tears beginning to roll down my face.

Launchpad bursts through the door, his soft gaze peering at me. "Elora!" he whispers, walking to my side. "What happened?"

I explain my dream to him, the memories haunting me.

Launchpad grasps my hand, his thumb gently stroking the back of it. He kneels next to me. He tenderly wipes tears off my face, frowning. "I don't know what to do, Launchpad," I tell him.

I face him, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. The faint moonlight emits just enough for me to see Launchpad's face. "What makes you calm down?" he asks.

I pause. "Um... talking to friends, I guess," I reply.

Launchpad nods, sitting next to me. "You can always talk to me, Elora," he whispers. "I won't mind it."

"Thank you, Launchpad. I want to tell you the same thing," I reply.

A smile slowly curls on Launchpad's face. I glance at him, asking, "Why are you smiling?"

"Just valuing life," he replies. "And you said you like to speak to people when you get anxious. So talk to me."

I bite my tongue out of thought. Soon enough, we tell each other about our lives, giving empathy and laughter.

Launchpad lays on the pillow next to me, giggling. "You used to be a comedian? No wonder why you're so funny!" he says, gasping for air.

I lay down next to him, also giggling. "My mother taught me before she died."

The pilot's eyes open wider, looking at me. "Did she go on that one TV show and win?"

I nod, still laughing. "Yeah," I reply, gazing at the clock on the wall. My own eyes widen. "It's two-thirty! We should get to bed!"

Launchpad sighs, sitting up. "Do you want me to stay here in case you have another nightmare?"

My heart skips a beat. I try not to beam. "Stay if you want to. It's alright if you don't."

"Ok. Goodnight, Elora," he whispers, softly kissing my cheek. I blush, hoping he doesn't have the slightest chance of finding out.

"Goodnight, Launchpad," I reply, closing my eyes.