chapter eight

Months later

I've been here for a few months now.

Launchpad and I have only gotten closer; Webby has begged me to ask him out.

I have only dissolved that confidence with how he can deny it.

He could not respond or cut all contact with me.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine him doing that.

"Elora!" Webby says, poking my side.

I look at her, not realizing she was there until now. "Hm?" I reply.

"Launchpad wants to tell you something."

My face heats up. "That's new."

Webby smiles, jumping up and down. She skips around me, giggling.

I raise an eyebrow, walking toward the door to the balcony. "I don't think this is going to be our normal conversation," I muttered, opening the door.

Launchpad tackles me to the ground.

We laugh, lying next to each other.

"Didn't expect that," I say, giggling.

Launchpad sighs, standing up. "Good morning to you, too," he says, laughing.

He puts his hand out. I grasp it, standing up.

"Webby told me you wanted to talk?"

Launchpad nods. "I don't think it will be that important to you, but I still want to say it."

The pilot looks down, brushing the back of his neck.

I put my hand under his chin, lifting his head so I can look at it. Smiling, I say, "Tell me anything, Launchpad."

His blue eyes gaze into mine. "I- I was wondering if you'll-"

"Elora! Come quick!" Huey yells, running to us.

I sigh. "Tell me later."

Huey tugs at my jacket. "Come on, Elora. It's important!"

Launchpad and I follow the duckling to the front of the mansion.

Huey stops in the foyer, pointing at the front door. "There's someone that looks a lot like Elora. I think it may be a sister."

My face becomes whiter than my feathers. "My sister hasn't talked to me since our parents passed."

Launchpad looks at me, grasping my arm.

I pat his hand, slowly walking to the door.

"Elora, don't open it!" Huey says, concern evident in his tone.

Pausing at the wooden object, I sigh. I open the door, seeing the face that looks so much like mine.

"Eliana. You're back," I say blandly.

The girl grins, leaning on the doorframe. "And you work for Scrooge McDuck."

Huey runs next to me, standing between the two of us. "It's going to stay that way," he tells Eliana.

My sister looks at me, nodding to the duckling. "Would you care to explain?"

"Relative of McDuck. He isn't that bad."

"I can be," Huey mutters, moving next to me.

Launchpad halts on the other side of me, squinting his eyes.

Eliana's grin widens. "Is he related too?"

"I'm the pilot," he murmurs in response.

"He's a friendly doofus, Eliana. You don't have to worry about Launchpad," I tell my sister, resting my hand on his shoulder.

My sister nods, peering at me. Then she looks around the foyer of the mansion, her eyes widening like her grin.

"This place has more space than I expected."

I nod, walking past her and to the stairs leading up to the door. "That's just the foyer," I respond.

Eliana laughs. "You're lucky to work for Scrooge."

Shrugging, I stroll down the stairs. "Let me show you around. I want to make you feel at home."

"I came here to speak to you, Elora," my sister mutters. "I don't have much time, either."