chapter two

Launchpad darts next to me, hands strewed behind his back. "Really?"

I smirk. "Yeah," I reply, "they are really enjoyable to talk to."

"Oh?" he asks as we hike up the stairs.

He starts to show me around the estate. Shortly after, I begin to notice that he stutters considerably often and strives to not make eye contact.

"Launchpad," I mumble. "You seem nervous about something."

He jumps, gazing into my eyes. "I've never been able to show someone around this place. I constantly forget where everything is," he declares unhappily.

I frown. He must be lying about something. "You've done exceptionally well. I'll tell you that. And so far, you've helped me remember where everything is," I reply.

As we walk to the back of the manor, Launchpad reveals the door that leads to the backyard. "Thanks, Launchpad," I say, smiling as I stroll past him and out on to the terrace of the estate.

I gaze at the scenery, my mouth almost separating from my head. "Pretty, right?" Launchpad asks, walking next to me.

"How can it not be?" I reply. "It's one of the prettiest sights I've seen."

Launchpad chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck. "T-This, um, reminds me of how pretty you are. I, uh, have wanted to show you this area. It's one of my favorite places to relax," he says, his voice quickly decreasing.

I attempt to cover the fact that I'm flushing. Goodness, can Launchpad be a charmer sometimes.

I grin, peering at the young pilot. "You're quite the charming duck, Launchpad. I have a feeling that will come in handy."

Launchpad gleams, turning toward me. "You think that it can be useful?" he asks.

I grin, walking down the stairs that lead to the grass. "Of course, Fly Boy. You're more than a pilot and driver to me," I reply happily.

I turn my head to see Launchpad blushing. "Uh... wow," he says.

He happily chases me down to a spot in the yard. As we sit down, he asks about my childhood. Shyly, I begin to explain to him about my past, mentioning that my parents were killed several years ago by Glomgold.

"Elora... I'm sorry for what happened to your parents."

"Don't be. You wanted to know, and so I told you."

Launchpad stands up, my eyes matching his. I smile as he holds his hand out. I place mine in his as he helps me up. We nearly bump into each other.

My heart skips a beat. I almost accidentally bump into Launchpad.

I step back, tripping and nearly falling over before Launchpad wraps his hand on my back, preventing me from crashing to the ground. We stand upright, our bodies almost touching. I look into his eyes, immediately making my face burn. The two of us stay there for what seems like forever, an unknown fire burning between us.

"Sorry," he mutters, stepping back and letting his arms swing by his sides.

"Don't be, Fly Boy," I tell him. "It was kind of you to prevent me from hitting the dirt."

"Oh! I totally ship it!" a young girl's voice says behind me.