chapter nine

I pause, turning to her. "Okay, whatever you want, Eliana," I murmur in reply, walking next to her.

She moves, looking visibly uncomfortable. "You remember when we watched Darkwing as a kid?" she asks.

Nodding, I cross my arms.

"I overheard some short and chubby duck say he's locked Darkwing near a bomb. I'm not sure you would want to hear about that."

I almost stop breathing, trying not to show emotion.

"Then Darkwing needs saving," I say, biting a nail.

Launchpad steps outside, standing next to me. Huey pokes his head out from Eliana's stomach.

The pilot places his hand on my shoulder, frowning. "We need to do something about it, then," Launchpad muses.

I stare at the ground. "Did the duck mention where he was keeping Darkwing?" I ask.

My sister doesn't respond. She only shakes her head and slumps against the doorframe.

I exhale. I look over at Launchpad, pouting. "You have an idea who would do that?"

Launchpad shrugs. "Glomgold would do it. I remember that duck doing things similar before," he mutters.

Smiling, I strut inside, saying blandly, "Then we have a suspect."

Launchpad hauls the airplane into the air. I lean back in the chair next to him, sighing.

The pilot glances at me, knotting his eyebrows. My heart flutters as my cheeks coat in a light red. "You alright, Elora?" asks Launchpad.

My body tenses as I exhale again. "I-uh, yeah," I murmur, fiddling with the zipper of my jacket.

Launchpad glares at me, frowning. "You don't play with your jacket when you tell the truth, Elora."

I look into his eyes, the blush only reddening. I give him a soft smile, turning my body to him.

Before I say anything, I stuff my face in my hands. "We've been through a lot, and it has only been a few months-" I begin.

"And you have feelings? So do I," he says, holding my hand.

I peer up at him, my body softening. I open my beak, only to have garbled noises come out.

Launchpad rubs the back of his neck, a tiny blush forming on his face. "I- uh, can give you time if you want," he mumbles, returning his focus to the sky.

I throw my arms around Launchpad's neck, laughing. "You don't need to give me time, Fly Boy."

I unlock the chains that connect Darkwing to the explosive, pulling them away from his limp body. Scrooge and Donald help him to the plane as I activate the bomb.

"Hurry, Elora!" Louie yells.

"Imma coming!" I reply, sprinting to the aircraft.

I land in it right after the three other ducks do.

Scrooge and Donald help Darkwing and make sure he's okay. I smile, remembering the first adventure I went on with this family.

I climb up a ladder and sit next to Launchpad.

He hauls the plane into the air just as the building explodes. The two of us look at each other, making me smile.

"So, uh, what now?" asks Launchpad.

Standing up, I take his hand and pull him in front of me. His face reddens as he softly smiles.

I cup his cheeks and lean in. Our beaks meet as I wrap my arms around his neck. Launchpad rests his hands on my hips.

We release, laughing. "We have the time of our lives."