chapter five

I wake up the following morning to snickering of young children. I feel my waist, discovering a big hand laying on it. I sigh, kind of shocked that Launchpad decided to stay the night with me. I softly lay back down, facing him. 

I turn my attention to the voices, beginning to hear what they say.

"You saw how they looked! I told you he had a crush on her!" one of the triplets yells quietly. I let out a tiny giggle, quickly stopping when I hear the door creak open. "You see! She's facing him now," they mumble.

"I still ship it, Huey," Webby mutters.

One of them grunts. "Let's leave before one of them wakes up."

I turn around to face the triplets and Webby, grinning triumphantly. "What if I already know?" I ask them.

Dewey jumps as Louie sighs. "And she's already awake," Louie announces matter-of-factly, placing his hands in the pocket of his green hoodie.

"Kids! Where are you?" Scrooge yells from what seems to be the staircase.

Huey shakes his head in disappointment. "C'mon, let's go to Scrooge," he utters, shuffling away. The other three follow behind him.

I frown. Sitting up, I peer over at Launchpad just as he's rubbing his eyes. "Morning, Fly Boy," I tell him, brushing some hair out of his face.

Launchpad looks at me and smiles innocently. My heart swells to the size of the mansion. The morning sun gleams on his red hair, faintly reflecting onto his feathers. "Morning, Elora," he replies. I smile back only to make Launchpad's cheeks turn bright pink. He slowly sits up, placing a hand near my waist. "You should get ready. Mr. McDee would be mad if you weren't."

"Okay. Seems reasonable."

I stand up and retrieve my clothes. "I'm going to the restroom. I'll be back soon," I mutter, walking to the bedroom door and opening it.

"Wait!" Launchpad says, walking to me. "Change in here. Come out when you're ready."

As he leaves, I close the door. I try not to feel bad for how respectable Launchpad is. I quickly get into my day clothes. I make my bed, then fold my pajamas and place them on it.

I open the door and take a small step out. I look to my left then right, not finding Launchpad. "That's odd. He should be out here."

"Looking for someone?" a voice asks.

Before I could respond, someone whips me around and punches me in the face, knocking me out.

When I wake up, I attempt to itch my head, but can't. Then I remember the unknown person that knocked me out. I look around, seeing boxes upon boxes and a door on the other end of the room.

I stand up, but quickly regret it when a force pulls my hands back.

"Elora," a voice randomly yells quietly.

"Hello?" I reply, sitting down.

Someone shuffles, coming closer until I hear a rattling noise right behind me.

The chains that held me captive break lose. As they clink to the ground, I rub my hands, peering back at who snuck in to save me. My eyes widen, expecting someone different to be there.