T w e n t y - T h r e e

━━━━━

Tears Of Defeat 

━━━━━

It's fine, Alaska tried to convince herself as her blades graced along the notorious frost for everyone's eyes to see, to judge her movements like hawks hunting for pray.

It's fine, she reiterated in her brain as Justin elevated her into the attenuated air, all so she could show off the biggest, forged beam she ever could. 

It's fine, she whispered to herself in between the scarcity of breathe, as the skating pair pulled apart on the ice, the blond unknowingly leaving the girl for stranded, to deal with her obscured thoughts on her own. 

It's fine, she demanded as she tugged her arms in and bounded into faultless rotation alongside her partner.

But it wasn't fine, and as she turned down into the landing, her concentration went amiss, as did her posture, resulting in a perfidious collapse, one that ultimately broke all hell lose within her. The shocked murmurs from the crowd made her spine shiver, her body tremble with the sudden cold that overtook any remaining sign of warmth.

Justin sent her a feeble, panicked look, but as instructed since he was but a child, continued the program as Alaska regained her footing and joined him, straining a smile, her look as hollow as he had ever seen it. If they weren't in the midst of a competition, he would surely stop everything just to check up on her, but instead, had to pretend nothing happened, finishing up the routine in silent tension.

As he lifted her up from the dip, their routine coming to an end, he gave her a worried glance, but she didn't reciprocate it, simply strained her smile even further, before turning to face the crowd and spreading her arms in gratitude, earning the applause of the crowd, one that radiated nothing but pity. Alaska felt her heart race from within her, as though there was a finish line she was yet to reach, as she fixated her gaze on a distant, blank wall, to the point her vision went blurry, all so she wouldn't drown in the features of everyone's disappointed gazes. 

"Myer-" Justin initiated, but before his voice was able to reach the girl, she skated out of the rink, not giving him a chance to join her, an uncommon move for a skating pair, for so long as they were on the ice, they had to put up a show, no matter what they felt within. 

"I know what you're gonna say, don't" Alaska rushed out of the rink as she slipped her skate guards on, her stare directed to the floor all throughout the process, for she wasn't able to make eye contact with anyone, not after the shameful scenario during their performance, and definitely not with her trainer, who had spent months training them until they reached perfection.

"Skaters fall, it's normal" Dasha uttered matter of factly as she inspected the student in front of her, one who was undoubtedly disappointed in herself. Sure, the fall was a blow for everyone involved, but the coach could tell, it wasn't done on purpose, and there was a far greater reason behind it than just plain miscalculation.  

"And you're not let down by this"? At long last, Alaska perked her head up sharply, her face untouched, impassive, as though she was attempting with all her might to hold herself together "Because I sure as hell am" Still, despite her attempts to maintain her composure, you could tell by a single glance, that she was enraged, with no one but herself. 

"Alaska, what's up"? Justin finally caught up with the two, grabbing his own skate guards, surveying the two in front of him, fret stewing within him, for he had no idea why his partner fell. It wasn't like her. After they enkindled their relationship and formed their bond, it seemed as though all of their skating struggles wavered away. Or so he had originally thought, for here they were, a hurricane hovering above them.