E p i l o g u e

━━━━━

One Year Later

━━━━━

Her knees descended into the soil below as she placed the tender flowers underneath the deep engraving of words from loved ones. She traced her fingers across the words, familiarizing herself with the place she never gained the courage to visit. 

"So, here I am" Alaska mumbled to herself, feeling stupid at the idea of speaking with thin air, but knowing it was probably better to get everything off of her chest, even if no soul would be there to hear her out "Finally came to visit you" She stared blankly at the photo of his smile, one he showcased to everyone around, one he was so adored for, that made him seem so joyful and approachable, all while, his love for the world was vanishing inside.

"I'm sorry, for not being at the funeral, for not saying goodbye, and for not visiting, at all" Alaska sank in her own sorrow, her own faults "That was shitty of me to do".

"I miss you, a lot" Her eyes filled with the hue of tears as she took a look around her surroundings, many fallen souls surrounding her with their own untold stories she would never get to hear.

 Truth was, beyond the passing that would never return, life continued as usual. Trees rustled to the faint melody of the breeze, right below the shining star that held everyone prisoner under its reach. A squirrel could be seen climbing a tree, on its own individual journey, perhaps providing food for its family, or looking for a mate. Vines fiercely ascended atop the eldest of graves, as though it was their kingdom and all that shall remain. 

 Life moved on, and Alaska did too "It was hard, at first. But hey, I'm doing better. I know you probably want to hear that. I'm not mad at you. I just miss you, and mom misses you too" Alaska informed the void, hoping that within it, his aura remained. She fumbled with her hands, before looking up at the sky, admiring the place she was in. Despite the amount of people that grieved their loved ones in the place she stayed, she could not deny its everlasting beauty.

"I need to go, people are waiting" The heartbroken brunette scratched her neck, before kissing her palm and resting it across the cold stone, in hopes her love would rise up high, to where she was sure he stayed. 

Alaska waited for a moment before lifting herself up and watched as where she had placed a kiss, landed a butterfly. Perhaps it was nothing but a coincidence, but to her, it felt as if it was fate, and she couldn't help but let out a laugh, trounced by the emotion, confident, she was not alone "I love you".

With hands in her pockets, she trudged back to the parking lot, her eyes glued to the floor, tears streaming down her face. She couldn't tell why. Joy, sadness, anger, maybe everything all at once.

It wasn't long before she left the area governed by greenery and met with the parking lot, the only car there coming into her view, on it leaning the blond who had convinced her it was for the best if he waited there for her.

"Hey" He greeted her back to reality as she sauntered over to him, his arms unfurling to let her in for an embrace "I'm proud of you" Justin smiled as he wrapped his arms around her, rubbing her back for comfort. 

She rested her head on his chest, basking in the solace of his heartbeat, steadying her own. They stood there for a few moments, doing nothing but listening to the nature around them come to life, before she finally lifted her head up and gifted him a smile, signaling to him, that she would be okay, so long as she was by his side.