Chapter 2: Rest for the Weary

"Geralt, this is ridiculous! We've been tracking this beast since daybreak, it's almost sundown. We have to stop, you need to be awake when that thing decides to show its ugly mug," Jaskier pointed out. "You're barely staying upright, when's the last time you slept? We can't have another djinn situation happening, Geralt."

"I'm fine."

"Yes, now stop."

"What?"

"You heard me, even Roach is listening. She must be exhausted, I know I surely am. Neither of us are going any further, and you sir will rest or so help me," Jaskier stomped his foot, like a child throwing a tantrum. "Now, let's set up camp. Or I can and you go find us some dinner."

"Fuck." Geralt trudged towards Roach, throwing off his bags and tying her to the nearest tree.

"Hmph, always so difficult. Huh, Roach?" Jaskier picked through the bags and went about fixing up their campsite.

Humming along to himself he continued his task even as Geralt returned, prepping their meager supper. After Geralt moved to help with the tent as the fire he built cooked their meal. They moved awkwardly around each other but a familiar rhythm soon enough found them as they trudged about their tedious tasks.

"Eat." Geralt's voice commanded bluntly. As he removed his smoked birds from the campfire, shoving the fowl into Jaskier's empty hands.

"Oh lovely, what type of fowl is this?"

"Just eat."

"Fine." Jaskier groaned, barely taking a few bites in before the ground beneath them trembled and yowled. "Geralt?"

"Damnit, move!" Shoving him aside, Geralt leaped to his feet reaching for his sword barely realizing it was gone. Grumbling he reached for a dagger in his boot preparing for the uninvited foe. Jaskier snatching up his lute holding it protectively to his chest and wildly swirling to find what could have caused the violent rattling of an entire forest.

"Come on, the man needs his sleep!" Jaskier cried in sheer frustration, kicking the dirt defiantly unable to spot the beast responsible for the interruption. "Can't you give him that much!?"

"Shut up!" Geralt demanded, listening and watching for anything else out of the ordinary.

Finally, the earth ceased its shuddering and the world settled back into place. But the pair remained frozen in place, waiting for something, anything to happen. They couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, nor the unease between them as they returned to their supper. Even as the moon rose they kept their guard up, spooked and unsure.

"Geralt sleep, get some rest. For all, I care just close your eyes and pretend. Just look like you're sleeping!" Jaskier exclaimed, stomping his foot once more. He glared at the witcher whose posture was tense and fatigue, his movements sluggish and less coordinated.

"No."

"Ugh!" Jaskier groaned. "Do you really think that thing will attack? Honestly, to me, it seemed you struck quite a blow on the beast. And from you've told me of leshens that one couldn't even teleport, which to me seems like a sign it cannot waste its energy fighting."

Silence answered Jaskier's outburst. But of course, it would, the witcher couldn't waste his breath arguing, not with a leshen somewhere nearby. Still, Jaskier was never one to give up that easily, knowing the bard he thrived on such a challenge.

"Look, I'll stay up. Keep watch, I won't even blink if that's what it takes. But you, you need to sleep. If anything so much as twitches I'll wake you, just please get some sleep."

"Fine." Geralt admitted, utterly done hearing the bard's insistent whining.

"Really!?"

"Yes, now shut up."

"Yep, you got it. Shutting up. I'm shutting up now," Jaskier obliged, smiling contently and watching as the witcher made for the firm mat laid with the cover of the tent.

Shifting uncomfortably, Geralt tossed and turned unable to get a restful sleep. Minutes passed and he continued the ceaseless commotion, grating at both the men's patience. Jaskier watched with annoyance at the witcher's poor attempts to relax. He reached for his lute, strumming a chord to check the tune. Once satisfied with the quality he began to play softly. He hummed along quietly, keeping a slow pace that soothed his mind.

Both he and Geralt eased into the melody. Jaskier played with lax posture, slumped against a fallen tree, allowing the warmth of the fire to keep him from freezing in the night. Geralt finally ceased his shifting about and his already slow breathing evened out, his tense body going slack.

As the night grew cooler, Jaskier moved under the cover of the tent, leaning heavily against Geralt's back as the man laid carelessly on his side. Staying true to his words, he didn't sleep a wink even as he felt his body yearn for the rest, he fought against his heavy eyelids and moved away from the comfortable warm of Geralt's body.

He picked up his lute and stood out in the chilling breeze. Starting a new song, he sang inaudibly to himself. Soon enough he felt the song pick up speed and he tapped his heel to keep pace, his voice grew louder the chirpier the lyrics became.

But he silenced the moment he heard Geralt mumble, shuffling around in his sleep once more. Sighing to himself, he packed up his lute, intending to give Geralt as much time to rest as possible. Now he had to keep quiet, not a peep he repeated over and over in his mind. So he paced around the now somber fire, the slight glow of orange the only reminder of the blazing flame.

Eventually, exhaustion crept in, and he stood up, trying to shake it off. Jaskier paced about, Roach watched intently awakened by his continuous motion. Luckily Geralt began to stir, exiting the tent with a yawn and staring at Jaskier.

"What?" he questioned the yellow cat-eyed man.

"Go to sleep."

"What?" Jaskier asked dumbfounded.

"Sleep."

"But-"

"I slept, it's your turn."

"You truly are bullheaded you know that, Geralt?" Jaskier pouted. "Not even any gratitude, just bossy Mr. Grump."

"Thanks, now sleep."

"See that wasn't so hard, now was it?" Jaskier chuckled, ducking as Geralt raised his arm, "Hah! I can dodge you know."

"Sleep."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, Witcher." Jaskier collapsed onto the still warm cushions, nuzzling into the soft fabric as he quickly drifted off into a dreamless slumber.  

Geralt glance back briefly seeing the bard fast asleep. He went about inspecting his things, sharpening his weapons, and other such idle tasks. He had to admit, it had been some time since he has gotten so much rest, the sun would be rising within the hour for certain. 

Jaskier had given him more time than he should have, but Geralt couldn't complain. After all, the hunter needed the awareness of a restful night. One of which Jaskier had generously provided, albeit out of the need of later protection shortly. It was in both their best interest that Geralt had gotten the rest, especially after so long without it.