Chapter 8: Final Stretch

The trek didn't last long with the brisk pace that had been set. Occasionally slowed when Geralt had been busied with dealing with monsters only to pick up the pace once more.At such times on their journey, Geralt received a fine payment from not only the Count but also people who wanted to be rid of these monsters. During the occasion they stay in the inn or tavern, Jaskier would sing to large gatherings and earn his share of coin as well.

Matidous rarely spoke to Geralt, and always berated the bard to complain about his behavior. It grated on Geralt's nerves, as he watched his bard barely tolerate their employer. Jaskier wasn't much better, sometimes lashing out at the Count, leaving the poor servants anxious with his outbursts.

But both quickly learned their choices would hurt the knights and staff before it was ever brought to their attention they'd done something to upset the Count. Knowing that, they couldn't help but confront him only to be ignored. Having to leave it at that, they shifted their focus back to the journey at hand. Luckily today would be the last day of their journey on the road for some time.

All that was left, would be to navigate the city and get settled in back at the estate. Yet again they were to be faced with a large expansive property completely separated from the lower class with hall walls and well guarded streets.

People lined the streets as they passed by, Matidous didn't acknowledge the people in the slightest. Rather he barked out orders and pressed their caravan to continue. More and more guards marched behind them the further they continued before at last arriving at the palace.

Jaskier happily strutted into the marvelous structure without even glancing back. He was ushered by staff to take a tour, which he gladly agreed to seeing the attractive guide. She was a little on the older side, but her mature conduct was all the more enticing to the bard.

Alone with Roach, Geralt followed the stable boys and made sure Roach was comfortably settled before wandering the outer structure of the palace. Eventually wandering inside to find Jaskier being chased off by some angry man.

They hadn't even been here a day and already the bard found himself angering the lover of some woman. Still Geralt followed after the bard, easily intimidating the man enough for the guide to rush to the man's side and chastise him. Jaskier laughed, which quickly turned to a groan when Geralt gave a decent jab into his side.

"There's no need for that, Geralt," Jaskier whined. "I didn't even get a chance to bed with her, not a moment. This foul sir is just the jealous type."

"You say that as if you didn't try to seduce my wife," the man fumed.

"All in good fun, I assure you," Jaskier said simply. "Can't another person compliment your wife's fine qualities? I certainly only mentioned a few."

"Sir Witcher, Master Bard," called a young guard who'd traveled with them. "Your room has been prepared."

"Erwin, do you have a moment to spare, dear?"

"For you mother, anything," he replied. "But first I must escort these men to their quarters. Do you mind finding the maids?"

"Yes, yes I know. Come now Barnes, love," she agreed. "We can speak later then."

"Oh so they're your parents, that interesting. I suppose it makes sense. Families do work best when together, don't they," Jaskier commented as he watched the Barnes couple squabble as they left the trio. "You know, for his son you've a much better head about you. Must be your mother, seems a lovely woman."

"Jaskier," Geralt's voice warned.

"I am simply saying what's on my mind. I'm sure you don't mind, do you, Erwin?"