Chapter 5: Snowy Trail

The pair of men woke late into the morning, and to Jaskier's complaints quickly prepared for their departure. But still with little coin they decided to skip paying for a cooked breakfast, resolving to settle for whatever Geralt could hunt at this time.

They didn't expect to walk out into freezing weather, the previous night clearly resulting in frigid snow. The howling wind only added to the icy air, and Jaskier sighed before rushing back in to put on an extra layer. Without any new clothes, he had to settle for wearing his worn topwear beneath his new green clothing.

Geralt on the other hand, seemed fine simply throwing on his hooded cloak and mounting Roach with ease. He waited patiently for his fellow companion, taking the blissful silence while it lasted.

"Whoever had this before me at the very least cared somewhat for its weathering," Jaskier commented, as he dragged his feet into the cold snow. "Well isn't this just dandy! Such a waste for such beautiful footwear."

And once Jaskier came sulking into the road, they were off. Roach slowed in the snow, still faster than the short bard that followed. When a rabbit crossed their path Geralt speedily snagged the brunch before it got away. Finally, he could silence the bard's incessant complaints.

Yet soon they were off once more. The snowy trail winded throwing the jagged rocky hills. Still Jaskier had yet to take up his lute, which honestly surprised the witcher. He couldn't recall a time while traveling that Jaskier didn't complain or sing, to say he found it unnerving would be an understatement.

Geralt kept glancing at the slow moving bard, his focus settled on the shorter man. He noticed the occasional glances Jaskier gave to the wooded lands, he himself couldn't sense anything nearby. Perhaps the bard was paranoid, or maybe uncomfortable traveling with the witcher again. Or he had gotten used to being alone, having to be wary of his surroundings. But Geralt was here now, and Jaskier only came with him for the protection, he must've known he'd be safe.

"Bard," he called, watching the man's face snap in his direction forcing a smile. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, its nothing," Jaskier dismissed. "I'm just sleepy is all. Kinda cold, and I didn't sleep well last night."

"You're being paranoid," Geralt stated, once again noticing the bard's over the shoulder glance.

"You don't say," Jaskier sassed back, smug as ever. "If I remember the Geralt I knew always said to stay attentive."

"Hmm."

"I got you there, didn't I?" Jaskier chuckled rather humorlessly. "But seriously, you're not worried?"

"What about?"

"The Leshen," Jaskier said.

"Hmm," thinking about it Jaskier had a point. But Geralt couldn't bring himself to give a damn about it. "No, it was on the other side of the forest. It's corpse rotted quickly."

"And that's a good thing?"

"Yes, it means no human connection."

"Really?"

"Typically."

"Oh," Jaskier was silent again. "Well, if you're sure. I guess my nerves have been settled. Thank you, my dear witcher." Jaskier meant to sound harsh but the words came out fonder than he could've thought possible.

"Hmph," Geralt huffed, frowning when Jaskier full on laughed. "Not funny, bard."

"Oh come on, it was! I mean the look on your face was enough," Jaskier faked wiping tears, deciding his voice had gotten the better of them both. He had to move from the thought so continued to tease his witcher. "You should say the same, oh Jaskier, my dearest bard. My lovely singing companion, how I do adore your singing, which is not fillingless pie."

"Enough bard," Geralt shook his head, a small smile tugging on his lips.

"Oh, nope. I certainly will not. Image, Geralt of Rivia, calling me such lovely names and complimenting my skillfulness. Oh how wondrous that would be," Jaskier continued on and on, ignoring Geralt's sighs and grunts of protest. "Oh Jaskier, I love you so much, never leave my side again. I'm so sorry for being a jerkass. I was wrong, my love."

"Hmph."

"Oh you know I'm right, you love me," Jaskier winked, intending for it to be nothing but a just, yet found that unnerving. "I'm quite the catch if I do say so," Jaskier flirted, hoping to distract the growing pit in his stomach.

"You're a flirt, and a bad one at that," Geralt mocked. "A sexy goose."

"Hey!" Jaskier gasped in dramatic shock, smiling at the comment. "I'll have you know I've said much worse, plus they were scary, nerves make flirting difficult. Like they killed a man, just like that. A snap and he's dead."

"Whatever you say bard," Geralt shot back jokingly, laughing at Jaskier's dramatics.

Jaskier relented to his body and was content to be with Geralt again. Sure they had their many challenges, but all epic tales had their lows. So determined, he continued onward with a much more confident stride. Deciding to take up his lute before he became bored or did something he'd regret.

With renewed attitudes the pair continued down the trail, passing the time with some jabs here and there. Only the tracks in the snow evidence of the traveling bard and witcher.