Chapter 6: Town Square

The weeks passed by quietly as Jaskier and Geralt followed the remote trail. It wasn't long before they passed by a few rural villages and towns. Soon enough their journey crossed into a bustling city. The crowds made it difficult for Roach and Geralt to move through, mostly having to shove their way passed people. Jaskier watched laughing at their struggle as he maneuvered easily in these busy streets.

But he kept track of the anxious witcher, slowly guiding them to town square. Luckily enough most people were in the market streets, avoiding the charming fountain where the group rested.

"Isn't it lovely Geralt," Jaskier mused. "I think I'll sing a classic, then we should have enough to resupply. Whatcha say?"

"Fine," Geralt gave in easier than expected, turning only to be stopped.

"Oh no, my dear witcher you can't leave," Jaskier laughed, "How will the people know who to give their coin if you vanish? Come now all you have to do is stand there and look all witchery."

Sighing, Geralt patted Roaches mane, ignoring Jaskier singing that dreadful tune. It didn't even happen like that, but the ballad did make them a lot of money. And apparently famous enough to garner attention from many wealthy patrons. Shortly after Jaskier'd begun, a crowd formed around them. Cheering along and horribly singing along to the song.

Children pointed to Geralt only for parents to swiftly put an end to that. People were throwing their coin short, too scared to approach him. Women watched the pair with lust, just encouraging the flirtatious bard. Geralt would admit some of these women were attractive but he didn't feel like answering their routine questions so they'd sleep together. Jaskier may have encouraged the behavior but he only ever slept with women of power or wealth, it was unlikely he'd take any interest in these ladies.

Eventually the songs came to an end at Geralt's relief. He gathered all the coins as Jaskier held open a pouch, counting as Geralt placed them in. It wasn't quite what the bard was hoping for judging by the pout he sported, but it'd be enough for supplies if only that. That was more than enough in Geralt's eyes.

"What is it bard?" he knew he had to be rid of that look quickly, before his bard became overwhelming with emotion.

"Nothing, but I was hoping to make enough for at least boot replacements," he huffed. "I mean come on they were standing there for quite a while why not give us more."

Silence answered the bard.

"Of course you don't care, but unlike you I actually care about my appearance. I have a reputation to uphold," Jaskier pouted. "A bard of my fame in worn clothing, and few funds. It's just unthinkable. It's cruel."

"Bard!" a servant came running towards the pair.

"Hmm? Why hello to you too sir," Jaskier grumbled, switching between speaking to himself and the young lad. "Absolutely no etiquette. What is it sir?"

"My master has requested to speak with you," the young man fidgeted under Geralt's stoic stare. "Both of you actually. He wishes to hire a bard and a witcher. The ones that travel together."

"Really, and just who is this master of yours? We don't come cheap you know," Jaskier said pointedly.

"A powerful and wealthy man I assure you," the boy said. "I beg you, please see him. All he asks is for an audience in his estate."

"He lives here, there aren't many monster near cities?" Jaskier questioned.

"No sir, we are travelling. He purchased an estate here last winter. Since then the monsters have grown in number on our path," the boy explained. "We've lost many just to get here."

"And why would he want a bard?" Jaskier asked. "I cannot fight."

"His wife passed during our time away. He seeks a famed bard to send her off."

"Oh that's horrible," Jaskier deflated. "Well I suppose we could hear him out at least?"

"Fine," Geralt relented.

"Thank you, I will show you to him at once," the boy bounded off, glancing back and waiting for the pair.

Following the boy, they were pleasantly surprised by the almost palace-like structure they'd arrived at. Jaskier marveled at the intricacies in the craved exposed wood pillars. On the other hand Geralt stayed skeptical, hating the luxurious atmosphere of the estate. He wondered vaguely how Jaskier could enjoy finery yet insist at being by his side and travelling, rather than serve the wealthy. He could easily live in a fine home, a spectacle most likely, at least that's what Geralt thought.

As they got deeper into the mansion, the servant was called away, leaving the pair to follow guards. They could see Roach out in the field wandering through the tall grass, as they peered through the windows. Sometime later they arrived at their destination and were left alone in a grand study.

Soon a finely dressed man arrived, servants and guards at his beckon call. He'd look roguish if now for his formal attire, but the unkemptness of his features told another story.

"Greetings, bard, witcher," the man's voice was coarse and clearly put Jaskier on edge. "I see you were able to meet with me. I must say, I am pleased."

"What do you want?" Geralt got straight to the point, avoiding the pleasantries as usual.

"Protection," the man rebuttal. "And a bard my late wife admired. She had requested the bard who travels with the infamous witcher sing for her in life. However she never had the chance, I wish to honor her ungranted wish."

"Admirable of you to do so," Jaskier said. "I must say I'm no sober musician. The ballads I sing would not bide well in such a serious occasion. I could manage but it wouldn't be quite the same."

"It does not matter, I only request you play for her. Our son and daughter should not have to continue their grief any longer than neceassary."

"How much?" Geralt asked.

"The travel is only a two weeks journey, but the lands we travel have infestations. For each beast you slay I'll pay 150, along with accommodations and any supplies you require."

"And my pay?" Jaskier questioned.

"If you play on our trek I will pay you 500 along with another 500 for the funeral."

"No," Geralt said. "I will not accept your pay."

"He's right, he could make far more slaying simple beasts. Not to add the time you'll be having him as your shield. I must say you are more generous to a bard than a witcher, it is a dangerous gamble."

"Have it your way, witcher. But I want the bard, I can pay more men to come."

"They will die," Jaskier told.

"I will add 300 for your time witcher."

"400 for each monster as well," Geralt stated.

"Hmph, 250 and no more."

"Hmm," Geralt said. "300, or the bard and I leave."

"Seems fair, well it looks like you have a witcher and a bard," Jaskier joked. "But who are you? I don't quite recall your name."

"Count Matidous, you may refer to me as Count, master, or sire. I do not enjoy any informal practices. I'll have send for you once we are prepared for departure. For now, my servants will help see that all your supplies are being purchased. Whatever you need, tell them."

"Golly good then, let's get ready. Shall we, Geralt?"

"Hmm."