Chapter 4: Stay

"You know, I expected this place to be a lot more dull," Jaskier commented, walking by Geralt's side into a small village center. "I mean, look. There's actually some spunk in those kids running about. And the square even has some trade. Do you think I could find suitable replacements for my topwear?"

"Hmph," Geralt shifted away from the bard, tugging on Roach's lead.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jaskier asked sassily. "Are you hinting at something Geralt."

"Not to your liking," he grumbled back, continuing onward as Jaskier froze where he stood.

"Why-how- you-!" Jaskier fumbled over his words grasping to his chest. "How could you say such a thing!?"

"It's true."

"Hmph, I can find suitable wear," he fumed, glaring at Geralt's retreating back. "Where the bloody hell do you think you're going? We're not done here, Geralt!"

"Payment."

"You said you weren't being paid?"

"Not mine, fool," he growled. "They don't have finery, Jaskier. No matter what you pay, there's nothing you'd purchase here."

"Fine. Then after you finish the job we leave."

"Hmm," Geralt paused in his stride looking up for a moment before glancing back at the bard. "Maybe."

"Maybe? Really? I can't believe this. I thought we were leaving as soon as possible," Jaskier spun on his heel eyes scouring the few shop signs. He marched toward the tavern. "I'm getting a drink! I can't do this right now."

Geralt shook himself, huffing a cold of air and set off once more. Jaskier was always a bit dramatic, now he would have eyes on him and Roach. The pair couldn't finish their task soon enough.

Jaskier, on the other hand, had already slammed the tavern door shut behind him and stomped to the nearest vacant window seat. He ripped his lute from its strap and examined it with stiff red fingers. It was then he noticed how cold the day had been, if not for Roach's body warmth he would've been complaining the entire way here. Though he didn't much shut up, to Geralt's annoyance.

"Oi, lad?" an older fellow approached him.

"Hmm?"

"Ye a bard?"

"Why yes I am sir, is there something I can do for you?" Jaskier smiled up at the sickly figure.

"Need some music, no bards around since the last festival," the man croaked. "Too quiet. Not good 'nough to keep the folks drinking. "

"And what do I get out of it?"

"Pay from the patrons ye idiot."

"I know that. I mean why should I play my lute for a few measly coins? That won't buy me much now will it."

"Suppose not, hows 'bout I give ye some clean wears and a free night's stay upstairs. If ye a horse ye can keep 'im in the stall 'round back," the owner persisted.

"Hmm, well I guess that might be enough. But first, let's see this attire, I won't go performing dressed poorly," Jaskier ascended, following the man to the storage room behind the bar. "This seems cozy."

He couldn't help the comment seeing a cot nestled in the far end of the packed space. Not a shelf or box wasn't overflowing with random items and shop goods.

"Here, boy," the keeper threw him a clumped pile of green fabric. "It ain't much but good 'nough fer a bard I'd say. Better then what ye wearing."

Looking out the outfit Jaskier semi-agreed. It wasn't unpleasant to look at and its slightly faded green dye was a nice shade complementing his skin tone. If anything, what mostly bothered the bard was it's texture, he didn't enjoy the roughness of the material but it'd have to do for now. Plus it was free!

Setting out to earn his share, the bard quickly made way for his small, but free, room to change maybe even bathe. Even better he had his clothing sent away to be washed. Finally, he set to work, strumming his lute for a few chords before jumping up on a stool and smiling brightly at the surprised crowd.

Just from his entrance he knew, he'd get paid well. Dancing and weaving around he sang to the people. Laughing as they tried to mimic his tune, and joking with a few here or there. He even flirted with a few lovely ladies, still, he sang for hours. Even after Geralt arrived he only briefly approached the man whilst singing some lyrics and nodding towards the stairs which the witcher nodded back with understanding.

It wasn't until late into the evening that he slowed, most of the crowd either drunk, passed out or leaving for tomorrow's work. Jaskier smiled after collecting his coins off the ground or from the hands of the drunkards. Geralt watched quietly, an empty mug his only company before the bard stumbled to his seat.

"Well that was a fine performance if I do say so," Jaskier said. "Oh, did the barkeep tell you Roach can stay in the stall? We've got a room, small but free. You can finally bathe, that leshen's aroma is still on you. I already cleaned up, I do have a reputation to uphold."

"Hmm."

"Oh barkeep, can I get a plate for myself and ale for my friend here!" Jaskier called across the open room.

"Come on Geralt why don't you enjoy yourself? I know you didn't get coin today but if you're hungry we can share my plate."

Without a word, Geralt stood patting Jaskier's shoulder and exiting the tavern. Within minutes he returned, a small pouch in hand.

"Oh, what's that?"

"Coin."

"So you did get paid? Not much compared to what I've seen you make."

"Tip."

"I suppose you did earn it haven't you? After supper I think I'll be calling it a night," Jaskier commented drooling over the trout plate as it arrived. "Smells delicious! Not that you're a bad cook Geralt, but seasoned trout with all this. It just makes a meal."

"Hmph."

"Aw, don't worry. I still appreciate your cooking. Gods only know how many times I've burned or under cooked mine." Jaskier rambled, listening to Geralt sigh tiredly, "Hey, I'm being serious. I appreciate what you do for me. Even if you kicked me to the curb, it was bound to happen eventually. I'm surprised it took so long. Let's just say I'm not the most favored companion, especially over long periods."

"You're not bad," Geralt mumbled.

"What?"

"You're not bad."

"Wow, I-I wasn't expecting that...thanks."

"Hmm," Geralt, downed his ale looking back to the door for a brief moment. Something was louder than it should have been, but it passed by without falter so he ignored it. "Going to bed."

"Oh, I'll be up after I've finished," Jaskier replied glancing at the door but shaking his head. "Good night."

"Night."