Chapter 10: Family Affairs

Jaskier whistled through the courtly jaunts and set to venture to his trademark. Taking on requests with skilled ease. Dancing from outside the growing crowd and twirling back to center stage.

But he wasn't the only bard set to perform that night. Bowing grandly to his roaring applause, he smiled at his runner up. Cheerfully exclaiming how wonderful the younger performer would be.

Finally able to take a seat, he happily corrected Geralt's poor table manners. Switching out his silverware to the appropriate size and tool. It wasn't long before his mother and father strode over to the pair.

"Jul-Jaskier," Margaret corrected. "That was an astonishing performance. I'm happy you've continued to improve. Oxenfurt was a costly school, but only the best for our children. Isn't that right dear?"

"The best for their skill," he grunted. "Though swordsmanship or archery would've done him some good. Imagine the danger he puts himself in with beasts on his travels."

"I assure you, little to no harm ever comes my way," Jaskier said. "Geralt's much swifter than most monsters lurking about, even without the precautions. Though, misinformation has ended poorly. There's a deals difference between a few pesky beasts and an entire trove."

"And yet you sing the praises of him. Even when he fails against factors that must come up frequently?" his father challenged. "Tell me witcher, are you truly competent enough to guard the wellbeing of my only son."

"I am," Geralt growled.

"And if he were to continue on with his pursuit of adventure, could you provide him the luxury a noble requires?"

"I provide," Geralt muttered, nearly faltering at the added bit.

"But I ask you if you can give him comfort, that beyond necessity?"

"He has given more through actions and more than what any simpleton could conjure. He affords the luxuries he would not afford himself to me. He keeps me well fed and hydrated. Warm in the frigid cold. Dry in the pouring rains. And he teaches me to do the same for myself. I am a grown man, I shouldn't rely solely on anyone for what I can do myself," Jaskier interrupted.

"Yet still he cannot say so himself."

"He is a modest man, and answered you enough," Jaskier retaliated. "What is the meaning of this? Why are you so bent on what he can give to me?"

"Sweetie, he means no offence. But we have news," his mother began.

"My time has long been coming," his father continued. "You refuse your duty as my successor in the pursuit of a life I do not support, but must allow."

"You must respect," Margaret scolded. "What he means to say is, your sisters have all married. They are happy with their spouses, however none are in any standing to succeed your father. So we've looked elsewhere. We do not wish to deny you such an opportunity, but you've made it very clear returning is not what you intend now or in the future. You understand your father's time has very well passed, many years in fact."

"You're finding my replacement, I'm happy you're respecting mine then. Still that doesn't have anything to do with Geralt?"

"No, it under most circumstances, does not," his mother agreed. "We know you will have this... man's companionship and have had such for many years. It's simply, having the knowledge of your financial affairs and wellbeing are important for us if we are to proceed."

"And?" Jaskier prodded.

"If this witcher intends to keep you bound to him, I expected some official arrangements." Hudson said.