Chapter Eighteen

Henry had just gotten back from the park where he met with Charlotte, he decided to clear his mind a little before heading over to his parents' house to get Kath. 
"Yes?" Henry said when he heard a knock on the door.
"Hey man"Jasper ventured "How did it go. You guys okay now?"
He joined him on the bed.
"Did you know that She told Chance her pregnancy but not me"Henry said looking at Jasper. Jasper looked away guiltily.
"Don't tell me you knew about it?"Henry said.
"Charlotte told me. She told me how he has been helping her." Jasper replied.
"And you kept it away from me"Henry said angry.
"It wasn't my secret to tell. She would  have told you if you had agreed to talk to her earlier"Jasper replied.
"I bet he convinced her to leave town without telling me"Henry said bitterly.
"He never did that. Chance was the only support she had, her parents didn't want to have anything to do with her and Kath. He is just a good friend to her and nothing more"Jasper added.
"I don't care about their relationship. All I  know is I  will never forgive her for taking my daughter away and handing her over to Chance"Henry replied angrily.
"She took your child away yes but she didn't hand her over to Chance. She gave Kath your name for heaven's sake"Jasper said. 
"She is my child so she should have my name. It is not like she did something extra ordinary"Henry replied
"You know what?  This ain't about Kath anymore. This is about your bruised ego"Jasper said angrily"You can't bring yourself to forgive her because your ego is hurt and not because she took Kath away but because of Chance. What is wrong with you Henry? Your jealousy is making you a different person".
"I don't expect you to understand how I feel because you have never been betrayed by someone you loved more than your own life "Henry shouted back.
"You are just angry she told Chance first. Your ego won't let you see how sorry Charlotte is and how much you are hurting her right now. It's true she hurt you but you are hurting her more now. You are ruining your family now."Jasper said angrily. 
"Let go of your pride and look deep into your heart you will find out forgiving her is not too hard"Jasper said calmly now.
Jasper could see he had gotten through to him from  the look on Henry's face.
"You can think whatever you want. You never took my side anyway. It is always been Charlotte. Am going to get my daughter"Henry said and stood up and left the apartment. Jasper shook his head angrily and left for his own room.
Henry  went straight to his parents house where he picked up Kath. They had dinner out because he didn't want to face Jasper yet. They went home after dinner and luckily for him, Jasper was asleep already. He took Kath upstairs and told her stories till she fell asleep. Jasper's word kept ringing in his ears, he tried convincing himself that his ego had nothing to do with the way he feels. Yet deep down he knew Jasper has a point. He fell asleep with Jasper's word in his head.
"Good morning uncle Jasper"Kath said from the dinning"Dad and I  made breakfast. Come join us"
Henry looked tensely at Jasper, he could see he was still mad at him.
"Sorry Kath,  am already running late for work"Jasper replied ignoring Henry.
Kath noticed the tension in the room. Jasper and her Dad didn't exchange there normal greetings.
"Are you guys fighting?"She said.
And they both looked away from her.
"Why do you guys like fighting. First it was mummy and daddy and now you two"She said angrily. 
"Since you grown up like fighting too much, am not gonna speak to any of you ever again"She said and ran to her room.
"Kath"They shouted
"This is your fault you know"Henry  said.
"How is it my fault?"Jasper said.
"You turned down her invitation"Henry replied. "Now she left without having breakfast".
"This won't happen if you weren't so egotistic"Jasper said going upstairs
"We should go convince her we are okay"he added and Henry  followed him.
They knocked on her door and entered, she was looking outside the window.
"I said i didn't wanna talk to any of you"She said not looking them.
"Jasper and I are okay now"Henry said and she turned.
"See we are friends again"Jasper said hugging henry. She walked closer to them  observing them closely like a detective.
"What is she doing?"Jasper whispered to Henry.
"How should I  know?"Henry replied with a fake smile.
"She is your daughter"Jasper said.  Henry rolled his eyes. 
"She is acting just like Charlotte and it is creeping me out"Jasper whispered.
"What are you guys whispering about"She asked.
"Nothing"They replied.
"Are you sure you two are friends again?"She asked.
They nodded.
"What about mummy? Are you friends with her?"She asked with hope in her eyes.
Henry looked down.
"So you aren't friends"She said quietly and turned to go back to the window.
"Mummy and Daddy are okay now"Henry said. She turned immediately.
"Really?"She said.
"Yes princess. We are friends again"Henry said.
She hugged him happily.
"Thanks daddy I  love you. Now we will be one big happy family"She said kissing him all over his face. Jasper looked at Henry confused, yesterday he told him he would never forgive Charlotte but now he is saying a different thing.
"We should surprise mummy, let's go visit her. All of us"Kath suggested excitedly. 
"What do you say?"She asked.
"Sorry Kath but I  have to be at work"Jasper said and her expression changed immediately.
"Am in princess"Henry said and kath looked up immediately.
"Really daddy"She asked and he nodded with a smile.
"You are the best"she said and ran off to her room.
"Did you actually agree"Jasper asked surprised"and why did you lie to her about you and Charlotte?"
"I didn't wanna hurt her feelings"He replied.
"And you think deceiving her is good for her"Jasper said.
"This was all Charlotte's idea and look at Kath, she is really happy. That is all that matters, right"Henry said.
"She is happy now but what happens when she finds out it has been all a lie? You know how smart she is. She is gonna be broken man"Jasper said.
"We just have to make sure she doesn't find out"Henry replied.
"This is wrong man, very wrong"Jasper said.
"Just let it go Jasper. This is all for Kath"Henry said.
Jasper wanted to say something but decided to let it go. He raised his hands up in surrender.
"I need to leave already"Jasper said.
"See you later"Henry said.
Henry was sure pretending to be friends with Charlotte isn't gonna be  easy. He had agreed to go and visit Charlotte when all he wanted to do was stay home and clear his confused mind. But he still found himself wondering what he would wear when they pay her an afternoon visit.