seventeen

Chapter 17 - Maybe There's Nothing After Midnight That Could Make You Stay

"It's not what it looks like."

Felix made a puzzled expression. "How is it not what it looks like? You're literally straddling our calc professor."

Jisung held his breath. There really was no getting out of this one, and he just had to pray to every deity he could possibly think of that Felix wouldn't blow up over what was going on. His roommate's eyes kept moving back and forth between him and Minho like he was trying to register what exactly he had walked in on.

Finally, Felix sighed and shut the door behind him. He walked over to his bed and sat down, staring down at his hands while Jisung scrambled to get his shirt back on. The brunette was moments away from tears. So much was at stake. He sat down on his bed and leaned against the wall, clutching his knees to his chest as he buried his head in them.

"It's fucking over," he said.

"Jisung, relax," Felix said sternly. "I'm not going to tell anybody."

Jisung kept his face in his knees because he was too shaken to face his roommate.

"I promise," Felix continued. "We can talk about it when I get back tomorrow," he finally said as he grabbed his phone and headed back for the door. He turned around in preparation to say goodbye, but couldn't seem to come up with any words and left silently instead. Jisung flinched when the door closed behind him.

When he finally dared to look up, he saw Minho, whose face was as pale as a ghost. The two boys stared at each other, unsure of what to say. As words failed, Jisung practically jumped into Minho's chest. He cried softly in his boyfriend's shoulder, and Minho backed away, keeping his hands on the younger's shoulders.

"What if you lose your job? This is all my fault, I'm a fucking idiot," Jisung cried while attempting to wipe his tears away with his palms.

"Jisung, it's going to be okay. We need to trust him. He's your friend, do you think he'd lie to you?"

Minho was right. He knew Felix wouldn't lie to him about something this big. But there was still a tiny voice in his head whispering what if? He buried his face in Minho's sweater and stayed there for a while, trying to get his thoughts straight.

"I can't face him, not for a while. Can we just go to your place? I need to get away from here to just think."

Minho thought for a moment. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," Jisung said firmly.

"Okay. Let's go."

Jisung leant Minho one of his masks to wear when they left the residence building. He still seemed overly cautious and kept looking down at the floor. Thankfully, they didn't run into anybody on their way out.

The drive to Minho's apartment was rather quiet. Minho wanted to give Jisung the space to think and cool off, so they sat in silence with nothing but the sound of light rain pattering on the windshield.

As time passed, Jisung began to relax. He trusted his roommate wasn't going to tell anyone. However, his focus began to shift towards how stupid he felt for putting them in a position where others could find out about their relationship. From now on, he had to be more careful for both their sakes.

Minho pulled the car into a spot in the small parking lot that belonged to his building. The rain wasn't letting up and had begun to fall heavily. They practically sprinted from the car to the apartment building, stopping to catch their breath once they reached the lobby. Jisung rested his hands on his knees as he faced the ground, gasping for air.