Regret [GN!Reader]

Words: 2.7k+
Type: Angsty & Fluff
Summary: You and Billy had a fight, causing you both to break up. But the both of you regret it.
Warning: NON-CANON BILLY. English is not my first language. Sorry if I misspelled something. GN = Gender Neutral.

"Just stop the car, Billy." You say as Billy keeps letting his anger out on the speeding pedal.

"For what? For you to go back to hi-"

"Stop the fucking car!" You shout.

The sound of the car wheels squealing tips through the air and fills your ears. You grab your backpack from just by your feet and open the door of the car as Billy stays silent.

"I hate you." You whisper while stepping out of the car.

"So we're done?" Billy asks not even looking at you.

"Yeah" You start, "We are!"

You slam the door of the Camaro right as you're done screaming, and Billy speeds off after only a few seconds of you facing the street ahead of you. You prefer to not let you affect you and begin walking home.

Hawkins' streets in the middle of the night are close to what could be pitch black. The trees are able to cover all the lights that would be on the streets ahead, and you're all by yourself. Step after step, you keep moving and don't ever stop, not caring that tears are already sliding down your cheeks.

When Billy sped off after some seconds of you walking home, you only noticed how angry he was. You didn't notice anything else. His eyes were filled with tears, but it was ignored due to how tight he gripped the steering wheel and clenched his jaw. He regrets what he said to you but he knows he's too stubborn to ever say 'sorry'.

(...)

The weekend went by and neither of you left the house or even your beds. You ate junk food while sitting on your bed and reading some books, while Billy laid on his, listening to music and staring at the ceiling.

Today, a Monday, you got dressed and left the house with your breakfast in hand. Now, that you don't have a boyfriend to drive you to school, you need to wake up extra early and actually walk there.

The walk to school is boring, you really regret not bringing your Walkman with you, at least music could help in a way. The scenery can be beautiful at times. But it does get boring after some time staring at them.

You step inside the school building and you can already feel everyone staring at you. They have a reason this time: The most popular couple in the entire school possibly broke up. The only reason they would know this is by the fact that you and Billy always walk in together and, when not, you try to find each other first thing in the morning. Not today.

You walk into the classroom and notice that many people are already here, sitting and talking to their friends in whispers. You walk to your usual table and everyone shuts up, looking at your every movement like you're some sort of animal in the zoo.

After some more minutes, more people started coming in, and, eventually, so does Billy. He walks to your table and sits down, in silence, right next to you, his usual seat.

Many girls in the room ridiculously gasp at the silence between the two of you since maybe now they'll have a chance. And so do the guys. They didn't dramatically gasp with the girls, but they sure have their eyes on both of you. There is no other way of describing this but ridiculous. It hasn't even been 3 full days yet.

The teacher walks into the room and the class starts.

Throughout the hour, the teacher noticed how you two are acting, too silent, too strange. She was used to telling you two to shut up, at least, twice; or for Billy to move a little to the side so you two aren't glued to each other. Today, you two were so silent that she didn't even know if you were in class.