7

The sun gleamed through the blinds of your bedroom stirring you awake.

You turned over to check your phone seeing that you had 2 hours until you had to go see the very person you didn't want to see.

Groaning, you got out of bed following the smell of food down the stairs.

Rounding the corner at the end of the staircase, Lisa was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Morning," you said.

"Morning. Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?"

"Are you ready to go meet your girlfriend this morning?"

"She's not my girlfriend, Manoban."

"She was though. Wasn't she?"

You nodded.

"So, can I know your story now?"

"I guess, yeah."

"Come on," she said carrying two plates of pancakes to the dining room table.

"Thank you," you said, sitting down.

"No problem."

"So, where should I start?"

"From the beginning."

"So, I already told you about how she transferred to my school and how I showed her around the school. After a while, we became best friends. We were together almost every day. We had this small group that consisted of me, Jennie, Kai, Byeongkwan, and Hwasa. Everyone knew that I liked Jennie except Jennie. All throughout junior year, they always joked about me being too afraid to ask her out, but I was too scared of losing my best friend. So eventually we got to our senior year and I asked her to be my girlfriend at this fall event we had at my school every year. She said yes, and everything was good for the first few months. Then around the end of our senior year, she started to become distant. She didn't answer half of my texts. She would send me to voicemail whenever I called her. I used to walk her to her first class since it was right beside my class, but eventually, she started telling me to go on to class without her. Eventually, I started to notice that she and Kai were getting closer. They would hang out together after school before heading home, and he would linger at her locker in between class changes. So, at that point, I decided to go see Jennie to talk about what was going on, and how I felt about how she distanced herself from me. I went to her house, and her dad let me in. He told me that she was in her room with one of our friends. I walked up to her door and heard two voices inside her room. I stood outside the door listening to what they were saying. Of course, it was Kai that was there. But, they were talking about me. She was talking about how she was going to break up with me soon, and how guilty she felt about it. Then Kai said that she shouldn't feel guilty about finding love, and how the two of them would be happy together without me in the picture. At that point, I wasn't angry. It just felt like my whole world came crashing down around me. My hand just gravitated towards the door handle and turned it until the door slowly opened. They were sitting on her bed kissing. They heard the door creak and turned towards me. They both had shock written all over their faces. After a few seconds, I just walked away, and Jennie followed me to the front door and hugged me. She wouldn't let me go. I told her I wanted nothing to do with her, and she eventually let me go. We went through the rest of the year avoiding each other. The last month of school came around and they both disappeared. No one knew where they went. All we knew was that they fast-tracked the rest of the school year."

"I don't like her anymore."

"Could they have handled the situation better? Yeah, they could have. I'm not going to hold her to what she did for the rest of my life though. I haven't completely forgiven her for what she did, but I want to."

"Are you sure you don't want to request a class change because of the situation?"

"That would make me avoid the situation even more than I already have. I just want to get rid of this tension we have."

"Are you sure, y/n?"

"I'm sure, Lisa."

"Whatever happened to Kai? Are they still together?"

"I have no idea."

"It would be crazy if he worked at our school too."

"That would be a nightmare."

"Did he ever mention what occupation he wanted when he got older?"

"He said that he wanted to be a math teacher."

"Maybe they came to the school together," she said jokingly.

"I'm going to go get ready for her lesson today," you said, shaking your head.

"Good luck!"

"I'll need it."--------------The day was sunny with beautiful clouds moving slowly in the serene blue sky.

You strolled to the courtyard with a pencil and notebook in hand.

With the courtyard in throwing distance, you saw Jennie sitting at a concrete table writing something down in her own notebook.

Scanning her figure, you let your eyes linger on her beautiful face. She may have broken your heart, but there was no denying that she was beautiful.

"Good morning, y/n," she said without looking up.

"Good morning, Ms. Kim."

"You don't have to do that," she said looking up from her work.

"Do what?"

"Call me Ms. Kim."

"You're my teacher, and it would be appropriate for me to call you anything else."

"You can call me by my name whenever we're alone. No need to be formal right now."

"Does any other student call you by your first name?"

"Yes, actually."

"Okay then," you said, sitting across from her. "So, what exactly are we doing?"

"I want to open up your imagination."

"How will you do that?"

"By using nature."

"What?"

"Look at that tree over there. What do you see?"

"Something that provides me with oxygen."

"Now, look at those kids sitting at that table over there. What do you see?"

"I see two freshmen talking."

"That's what the problem is."

"What is the problem exactly?"

"You only see things for what your eyes tell you they are. You don't seem to think about the little small details. When I looked at the tree, I didn't just see a tree. I saw the two sleeping squirrels on the branch, and the fresh pink blossoms on the tree. When I looked at the kids, I didn't see them as just having a conversation. I saw how they were laughing and having a good time together."

"So, how do I get to the point in which I make note of the small details?"

"Well, you first have to be able to see the little details. I think that is a good place to start with you. I want to give you a little on the side assignment."

"Okay."

"Every time you come across something that you think has smaller details about it, I want you to write down what that item is. Don't mention the small details when you write down the name. Just observe it for a second. Next Saturday I want you to bring me the list of things you wrote down, and we will go on from there."

"Okay. So, that's all for today?"

"Yes, that's all. Have a good rest of your day!"

You slightly smiled before getting up from the table.

"Jennie," you said, turning back around.

"Yes?"

"We need to talk," you said, sitting back down.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't want this tension between us anymore. It's frustrating having to tiptoe around you. That thing happened years ago, and I don't want to be burdened by it anymore. I just want to forgive and forget."

"Y/n, I just want to apologize. I've thought about what I did every day since it happened. Kai and I were wrong for how we handled that situation. I should have come to you first and told you that I was developing feelings for someone else. I shouldn't have gone behind your back, and I should have given you an apology. I apologized, but it was never as heartfelt as I wanted it to be. I did a terrible thing to you when you were the sweetest person to me, and I am so deeply sorry for it," she said, gently placing her hand over your own.

"Every night for the next year I tried so hard to forget you, but it would only lead me to either punching walls or crying myself to sleep. In the short few months, we were together, I realized that I wouldn't mind being with you forever."

"There was no doubt that I ever loved you. I just made a mistake that I will forever regret. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Tears began to cascade down her cheeks in a continuous stream. You unconsciously moved towards her and wiped the tears coming from her glossy eyes.

She put her hand atop yours on her face and locked her eyes with your own.

Leaning in, you rested your forehead against hers with eyes still not breaking contact.

"Do you still love me?"

She leaned in closer, ghosting her lips over yours.

"I have always loved you, y/n."

You two were in a trance. The usually full courtyard was empty, only being filled by the sounds of the slight breeze going by.

The trance was interrupted when her work papers were blown away down by the breeze.

Jumping up, you slightly panicked before helping her pick up the escaping papers.

"Sorry," you said handing her her work.

"No, I'm sorry."

"Well, I should head home. I'll see you in class Monday, Ms. Kim."

Before she could stutter out a response, you were already out of the courtyard.

'She said that she still loved me. What happened to her and Kai? If she always loved me, why did she cheat on me? Why did she leave me? We almost kissed.'