linked

・・・ ・・・
CHAPTER THREE : LINKED
・・・ ・・・

     back at the wheeler household, mike & his friends & family were sitting around the dinner table. the lights were yellow & shinned onto the food that karen wheeler had prepared that afternoon. meatloaf, mash potatoes, & green beans were laid out onto everyone's plates yet the boys had yet to eat anything as lucas picked at his meatloaf, dustin played with his green beans, & mike stared at his drink.

     "something wrong with the meatloaf?" mrs.wheeler asked the boys.

     "oh, no i had two baloney sandwiches for lunch," dustin said as sweetly as he could. "i don't know why," a big grin on his face.

     "me too," lucas added in.

     nancy cut in & looked at her mother, "it's delicious, mommy."

     "thank you, sweetie," karen replied.

     nancy started up again, "so, there's this special assembly thing tonight for will at the school field. barb's driving."

     "why am i only hearing about this now?" karen asked her daughter.

     nancy's eyes widened in fake disbelief, "i thought you knew."

     "i told you, i don't want you out after dark until will's found," nancy's mother spoke in a concerned tone, only wanting the best for her children.

     "i know, i know, but it will be super weird if i'm not there. i mean, everyone's going."

     karen sighed at her daughter, "just... be back by ten." nancy nodded & karen had an idea, "why don't you take the boys, too?"

     "no!" all three of them spoke in unison.

     "don't you think you should be there? for will?" karen questioned.

     mike took a drink out of his milk while looking at his mom. he saw the figures of two girls walking down the stairs & he spit out his milk. dustin caught on quickly & pounded his fists on the table to turn karen's attention towards him rather than the unknown guest of the wheeler residence.

     "sorry. spasm."

     the rest of the table looked at him like he was insane while mike looked at the liquid that had spilled on his shirt & lucas looked at his friends confused.

     "oh," karen said as holly started to whimper, "it's okay, holly. just a loud noise."

     "nice," nancy said while looking at an embarrassed dustin.

     el & saturn looked through the downstairs, both unintentionally avoiding the dining room. saturn opened a cabinet & grabbed weird jar full of circular treats out of it. she handed one to eleven & they both bit into the soft food. it was sweet & had a similar taste to the bread that they ate at benny's. it had little brown spots embedded in it that tasted amazing.

     they ventured back around to the stairs & saturn looked at the family eating in the dining room. she walked carefully up the stair dustin gasped as he saw them again. the wheelers & lucas turned yet they saw nothing.