Chapter 1 - Sophie

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The pen consistently tapped against the desk as Sophie twirled her blonde hair around her finger, waiting for the bell to ring.

The classroom was silent, all except for the tapping of Sophie's pen and the sound of the clock ticking.

Glancing around the room, she catches the teacher's glare. Sophie quickly settles the movement of her hand and looks down in her book. Sophie liked her English class, it just got boring sometimes; especially during silent reading.

After what seems like hours, the bell finally rings. Sophie scrambles to put her book away and rushes out of the classroom and to the locker room downstairs.

"Sophie!" Her friend, Linh, runs up to catch up with her.

"Hey!" Sophie high fives Linh.

"It's game day!" Linh yells as they enter the locker room.

"Shut up!" Their teammate, Stina hollers at them.

Sophie and Linh glance at each other and laugh. Stina glares at the girls as she walks past them into the bathroom.

Linh and Sophie laugh quietly as they walk towards their lockers.

"She needs to calm down - have some fun," Linh whispers to Sophie.

"Seriously," Sophie whispers back and the girls quickly change into their basketball uniforms.

"Hey," their teammate, Biana, peeks her head out from the lockers. "Are we white or blue?"

"Blue." Sophie slips on her basketball shoes.

"Okay, thank you." Biana walks away.

"Yep."

Once Sophie and Linh finish changing, they sit outside the locker room to wait for further instruction from their coach.

"Good afternoon ladies." Mr. Forkle walks out of the gym. Mr. Forkle is the coach for the girls basketball teams at Foxfire High School.

"Good afternoon!" The girls echo.

"Please start setting up the gym." Mr. Forkle walks into his office.

Linh and Sophie wink at each other as they get up. Linh and Sophie pull the table for the scoreboard keepers as the rest of the girls set up the chairs. Sophie and Linh dropped it once or twice but they eventually got it there.

"I see you figured out how to pull a table with wheels across a clean floor." Stina saunters over.

"Why don't you try dragging this heavy table across the room," Linh proposes.

"No thanks." Stina flips her hair over her shoulder as she walks away.

"She's so bratty." Sophie rolls her eyes.

"I know." Linh smiles and elbows Sophie. "I bet I can beat you to the basketball cart."

Linh runs and Sophie stares in disbelief before yelling at Linh and running after her. "That's not fair!"