Chapter 3 - Sophie

As the game was starting, Sophie put her hands on her knees while she waited for the rest of the players to line up for the jump ball.

She brought her hands off her knees as the ref tossed the ball in the air. Stina slapped the ball and Linh caught it, quickly dribbling to their basket. The opposing team quickly got into their defense as their coach yelled at them. A tall girl got in Linh's path to the basket so she backed out and ran past Sophie, pushing the ball to her as she passed her.

Sophie passed the ball through her legs and she walked. The defense player bent her legs and put her hands out. As Sophie moved closer to the defender, keeping the ball out of the other girl's reach, the defender backed closer to the basket.

Smiling, Sophie dribbled to the right and crossed the ball behind her legs and went to the left. The girl that was guarding her fell over and Sophie made the 3-pointer shot. The stands cheer as the ball goes in the net.

Mr. Forkle smiled as he told the girls to get in their defense. Sophie quickly got into position. The point guard and the shooting guard were at the free throw line closest to the net where the other team was throwing the ball in, the small forward and the power forward were at half court, and the center was waiting at the free throw line farthest from where the team was throwing it in.

---

Sophie was small and fast; therefore, it was easy for her to steal the ball. She was in her defensive stance and when the girl she was guarding looked away, she reached over and took the ball.

As Sophie is sprinting down the court, she glances up into the crowd and catches the eyes of a blond boy with ocean blue eyes. He was sitting next to Biana's brother, her childhood crush; however, she didn't get butterflies in her stomach when she saw Fitz, but the blond boy sitting next to him.

She turns her attention back to the game, she could focus on boy troubles later. In her peripheral vision, she could see a girl catching up to her. She curses at herself. If she hadn't gotten distracted by the boys. she would've scored by now. She speeds up and as she's going up for her layup, the other team's girl throws herself forward, trying to stop the ball.

The girl runs into Sophie, making her lose her balance and go face forward into the wall. Usually their gym had padding on the walls underneath the baskets, but Foxfire was replacing theirs, so they had been taken down.

When Sophie collides with the wall, she hears a crack and blood starts pouring out of her nose. The stands are silent. She slowly pushes herself off her stomach as Linh and Mr. Forkle reached her, the other team's coach not far behind them.

"Are you okay?" Linh asks as she hands Sophie a napkin. Sophie figured she probably grabbed it from the scoreboard people as she ran past them.

Sophie nods and Mr. Forkle stomps toward the other team's coach. "This is your girl's fault! She ran into my girl!"

"It was an accident." The coach tries to calm him down. "And she is injured too."

Sophie looks over to see the girl who ran her over, clutching her ankle. The ref pulls Mr. Forkle away from the other team's coach.

"Can we just focus on the girls right now?" Linh buts in. The coach glares at Mr. Forkle before he kneels down next to his girl.

~~~

a/n: i had so much trouble rewriting this chapter but i think its better than the original. i hope its okay :)