Pep Talk

I don't recall exactly how long I sat on the bathroom floor releasing my pent up emotions but by the time I stood my legs had become numb. After I got my bearings back I walked over to the sink and turned the cold tap on. My mascara was smeared and I looked like a zombie. Splashing some water on my face helped ease my burning eye's and once I dried my face off I grabbed my bag and reapplied my make-up.

Looking at myself in the mirror I mentally spoke. "You've got this. You've been through far worse and survived. Don't let some arrogant man make you feel this way. Take care of you first then handle the damn thing".

Giving myself a confident smile I knew what I needed... A quick visit to my favorite boutique then I'll take care of the problem. My only assumption for as why this man's advances bothered me so was because I have known him since I married London. Never had he given any indication that he thought of me in that way. Plus I trusted him and considered him a part of the family. I guess it always hurts more when it comes from someone you trusted.

Leaving the bathroom I checked my surroundings to ensure London wasn't about or any of the men. It was just business as normal around the Den. Once I felt secure, I slipped off to London's private room here. I decided using the secret tunnel was safer than leaving out at the front lobby.

Sliding the secret latch over the wall slid aside and I stepped in. I wasn't in a rush like the many other time's when I was trying to escape London so I took my time gathering up what I needed. Flicking the lights on I grabbed a set of London's key's and a gun just to be on the safe side. It wasn't long after that I was in his Porsche scooting about town.

As soon as I stepped into the boutique all attention was placed on me and with good reason. I was well known here, after all I've been shopping here since I arrived in New York and they knew I usually dropped major bucks each visit. Immediately I was given a comfy seat along with a glass of wine and delectable cheeses and fruits. As I indulged myself several dresses were brought before me for my choosing. I did select a few but I was in a mood today, a more simple mood. My soul craved something more comfy, more relaxed.

Sitting my glass down I walked over to a rack of designer jeans. I saw the surprise cross the sales lady's face and smirked. "I don't always wear dresses". I spoke pleasantly.

" Yes Mrs. Harper. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to seem shocked. Please, let me suggest a few jeans for you".

As I flipped through the rack I spoke. "Pamela right?"

" Yes Mrs. Harper ".

" I can assist myself today. Why don't you take a break and have a glass of wine". I suggested.

"Of course Mrs. Harper but I don't indulge in drink while I'm in the presence of a customer such as yourself" .

Turning a stern eye her way I spoke with authority. "I insist you have a drink. "

Pamela nodded in embarrassment. "Yes Mrs. Harper. I'll be in the front should you need me".

I didn't bother to reply, I just kept searching for the perfect pair. Once I had selected a few I searched for a nice, leisurely blouse. Nothing too dressy but not exactly bum fashion either. After choosing a few tops I made my way into the changing room. Moments later I stepped out to view myself in the mirror and to my surprise London was relaxed in my comfy chair snacking on my wine and cheese. However his face held no anger especially considering the fact that I slipped off and ignored my duties. "The jeans look perfect on you baby doll".

I remained mute not knowing how to react. Was this a new game he was playing? Was he trying to make me feel safe only to punish me later? Getting up he approached me carrying a few dresses. "I picked a few out for you myself. I think you'd look stunning in these. Go try them on".