Chapter Seventeen

^Eros^

The team held their breaths. But no sound came. Laura looked crestfallen and knocked again. But still no one answered. she sighed and turned to the others.

"What are we going to do now?" She asked.

"Let's go then." Kevin said and turned to go. He walked towards the gate and the others followed. As Kevin placed his hand on the latch of the gate a sound of a
turning lock was heard from behind. The friends turned quickly and the door slowly opened. An elderly frail looking woman stood behind it.

She was hunched with her age and her skin was too big for her. It was folded in many places and was hanging loosely. Her cotton white hair was unkempt and
she lifted her head to look at the team.

"Er - hi" Laura stumbled. She sounded afraid to look at the old woman. Her beetle like back eyes stood in sharp contrast with her hair. She moved her facial muscles to smile with them and revealed a toothless grin. Her genuine childlike smile lit her face as a small child's would and she looked less scary.

"Erm - we are lost here." Laura piped up again. This time the old lady looked at her.

"Can you help us?" Laura had her eyebrows raised. "Please!" she added quickly.

The lady nodded and moved behind the door and opened it fully. The team quickly moved inside the hut and as everyone moved, she looked at them carefully.

After everyone was carefully inside, she locked the door and lit the candles. The team huddled close to the cheery fire and Kevin shrugged at the questioning look Tom was giving him. The lady was holding the candle when the whole hut was bathed in the electric light. The battery filled light was giving them enough
brightness but the lady kept the candle. She touched the sofa indicating them to take a seat and the team took it. Tom took the single armchair and all others
huddled in the same chair.

"Do you all need anything?" the old lady croaked and her voice was steady unlike her. The team stared at her in odd curiosity and she asked again.

"Do you want tea or coffee?" she asked again.

"Coffee please" Kevin said looking at the others for any suggestions. The others nodded their approval and the lady shuffled her feet into what looked like the kitchen. Loud noise indicated her every moment in the process and the team
waited in silence thinking of the hut.

Finally, after what felt like an hour the lady brought six cups of coffee and the team gulped it in wonder of the sweetness and appreciating the hot beverage. After the last empty cup was placed on the tray the lady looked up from her lazy boy chair by the fireplace.

"Er - thanks for the tea madam" Kevin said and looked at her.

"Call me Mrs. Roots" she said and Kevin nodded.

"Yeah sure Mrs. Roots. I am Kevin by the way" he said and introduced the others. The lady took interest in them and placed down her knitting.

"We've been lost for a long time now." Jack said and looked at Mrs. Roots to grab her attention. She slowly turned her head towards him.

"So, can you show us the way please?" he asked.

"The way to the closes city or town" Ian made it sound clear and the lady nodded slowly.

They didn't know what to say after that and looked at each other to help break the awkward odd silence.

"Erm, do you live here, alone?" Edith asked.

"Yes. My son visits me every Sunday." Edith nodded.

"He'll take you to the city perhaps" she finished.