3

Somewhere in South California...

Sophie's POV

Heat.

Sweat.

Music.

My heart felt like it was about to burst.

Drink.

Drugs.

Men.

Where am I?

My body fell to the right before diving forward onto the floor.

"Damn." I grumbled before my arms weakly pushed up, forcing my body to stand on the two bony sticks that are scientifically known as legs.

It took a total of 23 minutes and 41 seconds to find the exit door of the smoke filled club and hail a cab back to my shared 2 bedroom apartment.

My hand grabbed a fistful of notes and change which I threw at the driver before I exited the vehicle.

How do I walk again?

My hand grabbed anything within reach that would help me steady my balance before I finally fell through the door, face planting the old scruffy rug.

"You seriously need to get a fucking grip." The voice of my long time friend Alex, boomed above my head.

I groan, giving up at trying to get off the floor before my body is dragged towards the sofa.

"What are you doing Soph?" He asked rhetorically.

"He has my baby. He's got her." I slurred, my arm falling off the sofa by my side.

"Who?" He asked confused, looking around. "Cameron. He has my Avery." I mumble as my sight becomes black before I'm drifting off to sleep, the shouts of Alex's voice drowning out.

Mommy loves you Avery.

Cameron's POV

It had been about 3 hours since the post came in.

Mostly white envelopes including bills, ballot papers, a news paper and one single brown envelope.

I don't like brown envelopes.

They always give disappointing news to people.

Or happy news... sometimes. But I didn't know how to feel about any answer to the question.

Was Avery actually my biological daughter?

"You know that you are gonna have to open that at some point, right?"

My eyes locked onto David's, my best friend who leaned against the counter top with a cup of coffee in hand.

"I know." Come on Cam... you can do this!

"I can't do it." Man I was such a pussy.

"Fuck sakes. Gimme." Before I could stop him, David had grabbed the envelop and ripped the top open.

I stood to my feet, silently waiting as I watched his eyes scan over the words that was on the paper.

His face fell, surprise, shock, disbelief... all those emotions combined shown on his face.

"She's yours."

The same words that were on the note fell out of his mouth as I collapsed onto the chair below me.

The document came into view as David pushed them over the table. The statement made my eyes water as I re read the paper over and over again.

Alleged Father: Cameron Richards
Alleged Mother: Unknown (not present)
Child: Avery ____

The alleged father, CAMERON RICHARDS, cannot be excluded as the biological father of AVERY. Based on the genetic test results, the probability of paternity is 99.9% accurate that the alleged father IS the biological father of tested child.

My eyes watered.

Was I happy? I had no clue. Shocked? Very much so but in a way, not at all.

"What are you gonna do?" David snapped me from my thoughts, the question making me look over to Avery who lay peacefully sleeping in the basket.

"Be the best father I can be."

Sophie's POV

I gasped for air as I was hit with a cold gush.

"You fucking idiot!"

Not what I expected to wake up to but I've had worse.

"Good morning to you to." I grumble, stumbling towards the fridge.

"It's afternoon you asshole. Where's Avery?!"

My body tensed at her name before I turned to face Alex.

"Where she belongs." I say in a sad tone, but cover it with a cough as I grab a beer from the fridge, cracking it open to let the contents glide down my throat.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!"

My head is pounding.

"Can you please stop shouting?" I whimper in pain before the beer was ripped from my hand and emptied down the sink.

"Where the fuck is she Sophie?!" He shouted again.

"She's with her father." I deadpan, waiting for more words to be shouted at me.

"What do you mean she's with her father?" He scoffed.

I shrug, looking out the window.

I wonder how he's doing with her.