26

Cameron's POV

I sighed frustrated as my fingers shook violently, unable to knot my tie properly. "Allow me son." My father spoke behind me, making me turn around.

My parents managed to make a few days spare to stay over, helping with Avery, allowing me to get a couple hour shifts done at the factory and preparing me for this hearing.

He walked towards me, undoing the messy knot I had made and started again. "I can feel you're nervous. Don't be." He muttered, tucking the tie over twice and under the smaller end. "Easy for you to say. Your kid isn't on the line, literally." I snap, my legs feeling like they were about to collapse.

I frown, realising my attitude had been out of line. "I'm sorry. I just.... I can't loose her Dad. I won't be able to forgive myself." I shed a tear, feeling slightly overwhelmed as he brought me into his arms. "I understand. You won't loose her, the judge will see how much of an amazing father you are to Avery. I'm sure of it." He pushed a smile, patting my back before releasing me.

"Cameron?! You have 20 minutes!" I hear my mother shout from downstairs, making me frown. "I'll get Avery." I mumble before feeling his hand clamp onto my shoulder. "Allow me. Your shoes are downstairs." With a final pat on the back, he walks out of the room, leaving me with my thoughts.

What if I couldn't bring Avery back home today?
What if I lost my baby? My daughter. My flesh and blood. My whole world!

I couldn't let it happen. I made a promise the day I found out she was mine that I'd love her, care for her, be there for her. She was always going to have her dad around. And now I might not even get that chance.

I shake off the thoughts and make my way downstairs, instantly searching for Avery. Finding her in the arms of my father sleeping, I smile, feeling that familiar warmth of love that I had for her.

"We should get going." My mother looks at me with a sad expression, leaning over to kiss my cheek. I took Avery from my father, gently placing her into the carrier so she wouldn't wake up and took her to the car. Once she was strapped in, I sat on the seat next to her, taking hold of her tiny hand, in hope that I would never have to let go again.

The drive took a little under 20 minutes but when the large brown court office came to view, my heart sped a million miles.

I couldn't do this.

I couldn't loose my baby girl.

I watched as my mother held out her hand to me and I grabbed it. She kissed the back of my hand, rubbing it with her thumb with a sentence in which she said, "no matter the outcome today, you will always be Avery's father, and that is something no one can take away."

A tear slipped down my cheek before I exited the car, feeling my father's presence beside me as he opened Avery's door, allowing me to lift her carrier out. I walked as confidently as I could towards the court, taking my designated seat in the front row.

I watched as my parents took Avery to the side rows, beside David and Lia who came for support, sitting in view of where I could still see them.

And that's when I saw Sophie.

Two police guards stood by her, directing her to the seat opposite to me. Our eyes met for the first time in god knows how long, and all I wanted to do was hold her and make her worries disappear.

Although she messed up, I could understand her pain, and I wanted to be there for her.

"Court in order." The jury announced, making everyone stand.

He asked a few questions to figure out our backgrounds, the reasoning behind the case and what had happen leading upto it beforehand.

"Mr Richards, may I ask what's your current financial status?" The judge asked.

"I work in a warehouse factory full time, but as off the past few months being with Avery I have taken major time off to provide the correct care. I have still made income within this time with part time shifts with the help of family looking after Avery, your honour." I answer confidently.

He seemed pleased with my answer before looking to Sophie. "Miss Campbell?" He pushed. "I-I'm actively looking for work, your honour." Her head fell as she twiddled with her thumbs.

"With the documents I have, Mr Richards, I can tell that your health records are almost immaculate, you have no prison records which I'm very pleased with, may I ask, are you or do you involve yourself with anything or anyone that could potentially bring harm to Avery or of course yourself?" He intertwined his hands, looking at me over his glasses.

"Before I had Avery, I will admit that I would go to social outings with friends which would have included alcohol but as off the very first day that I have had Avery in my care, it hasn't been in sight on my behalf." I had to word my answer as carefully as I could. Once again, he seemed happy with my answer then looked to a nervous Sophie.

I hated this, but if this is what I had to do to keep my daughter then so be it. They would have to kill me first before they could take my baby away from me.

"Miss Campbell." The judge asked, making her eyes water. Her bottom lip trembled and all I wanted to do was hold her in my arms and tell her everything was going to be okay.

"Looking over your records, I see that there has been a major downfall on your behalf. Statements which claim to say that you have been involved with alcohol for sometime and on many occasions, been under the influence of marijuana and cocaine. Is there any comment you'd like to make?"

With that question, a tear fell down her cheek.

"I didn't have the easiest upbringing. I was involed with alcohol and drugs at a young age. It was an enjoyment at first but then it became an addiction which I got professional help for. I haven't taken any substances within the last few weeks." She spoke with a low tone.

I looked back over to the side, seeing my mother with tears in her eyes, mouthing 'I love you' to me as she rocked Avery in her arms. I returned the gesture before turning my attention back to the judge.

"Case adjourned. Resume in 15 minutes." He slammed his gavel on the podium before exiting the court. I looked up, my eyes falling onto Sophie as the officer handcuffed her once more, taking her to the break room.

I almost cried as the sight of her body saddened me. She had gotten so thin, so weak. I just wanted to take her home and never let her go again.

I returned to Avery who has now just awoken from her nap and was desperately trying to reach me from my mothers arms. "Daaa." She mumbled around her pacifier, stretching her arms towards me.

"Hi baby." I whisper, trying not to be so loud as she still looked very tired and irritated. I gather her into my arms and sat down as she shoved her head into my neck. I placed multiple kisses onto her temple as I rubbed her back, smiling at the small puffs of air hitting my skin.

"You've done amazing baby." My mother speaks up, kissing my cheek. "Do you think so?" I ask nervously, my grip on Avery tightening ever so slightly. "Of course Cam. They'd be stupid not to think you're the best for Avery." My father imputed, making me breathe a relieved sigh.

I felt Averys hand curl around my neck as she pulled back to look at me. Her cheeks were a light shade of pink from the heat, her hair was a mess from laying on it as she slept but she still looked like the most beautiful princess in the world.

Her left palm rested against my cheek as her eyes fell shut. Her head fell forward, resting against mine. Our noses touched and all I felt in that moment was pure love. Noticing she had fallen back asleep, I gently move her head to the side to rest back on my shoulder.

"Court in order." I heard the judge call out as I carefully pass Avery back into my mothers arms to retake my seat. I looked up nervously as he asked everyone to stand.

"The court has decided...."