4

Cameron's POV

"Its okay, it's okay... how the hell does this work?"

I tried to hush Avery in my arms as I read instructions on working a bottle warmer.

"Turn switch on the back of device." I mumble, turning the switch on. "Place bottle upright in sorted compartment." I look inside the box, placing the bottle in the slot before locking on the lid.

"Bingo." I smile, setting a timer before heading upstairs into my bedroom to change Avery's diaper. "Someone's let out a stink bomb." I cringe, using the very tips of my fingers to up wrap the soiled diaper, clean her up before placing a fresh one on.

Holding her against my chest, I put the diaper in a disposable bag and take it downstairs into the trash can. "Kobe!" I shout as I threw it in, cheering when it landed inside successfully.

Avery cries out in disturbance and I immediately apologise, kissing her head. She still didn't have the neck strength to hold her head up on her own, so as she cried, her head fell back. I quickly clamped my hand behind her neck, giving her the support she needed before moving her into a laying down position in my arms.

"Let's get you some food." I coo, making sure her bottle was cooled down by testing it on my wrist before I gave it to her.

I've never seen a baby gulp down anything faster than what Avery done. "Calm down before you eat the bottle itself." I chuckle, pecking her cheek before resting back on the couch.

It was silent for about 40 minutes, the only sounds was Avery burping every now and again as I had to burp her every few ounces she drank.

I chuckle when I remove the bottle for the last time, seeing her in a milk drunk state was hilarious. Her eyes twitched every so often as her mouth was open slightly.

She hiccuped a few times, her head rolled to the side into my chest. For some reason I didn't want to move her. She seemed so content.

Was I seriously doing this?

If someone had told me last week I'd be caring for a baby, I'd laugh in their face and tell them they're crazy.

But now that's a reality.

I have a kid. A newborn.

And I'm on my own.

I barely have myself figured out never mind caring for a whole other human.

My phone buzzed and my hand instantly answered the phone, hoping the two seconds that the phone did ring wouldn't wake Avery.

"Hello?" I whisper. "Hey its Lia. I was wondering if you wanted to hang today." She said cheerfully.

My best female friend. I still hadn't told her. Shit.

I didn't want anyone knowing right away but that never worked in my favour.

"Uhh I can't today. I'm busy." I whisper, slowly laying Avery down on the sofa as I cautiously stepped back three times before bolting into the kitchen before I could wake her up.

"Busy? It's your day off." She said obviously. It sounded windy through the receiver, meaning she was outside. "Uhh allergies have been acting up ... yeah, I haven't been feeling too good." I lied.

I hated lying, but I couldn't risk anyone else finding out right now.

"Good thing I'm bringing food." She giggled. Ugh how do I get out of this?

"Cramps!" Was the first thing that fell out of my mouth.

"Cramps?" She asked confused. "Yeah... gassy, cramps, bad gas, maybe it would be better if you came over another day." I try to convince her but too my luck, that didn't work.

"Well I'm already at your door. Open up stinky." She laughed and I slammed my hand onto my head. I sigh defeated and end the call to open the door.

"Hey..." I stand at the door awkwardly. "Well aren't you going to let me in?" She gestured with the box of pizza in hand. I look back to the sofa, seeing Averys small chest rise and fall.

There was no chance I'd get away with hiding her.

I open the door and allow her to come in but as soon as she eyes landed on Avery, the box fell to the floor.

"You're lucky the pizza is still in the box." I mutter, taking the pizza into the kitchen and plating it up for myself and Lia.

"Why the fuck is there a baby on your sofa?!" She whisper shouted and shoved my shoulder.

"Because shes my daughter." I didn't look at her reaction as I began to eat my pizza but only managed to get one bite before it was ripped from my hands.

"Explain." She crossed her arms over her chest and leaned on one leg. "I'm sure your parents have gave you the birds and the bees talk Lia." That earned another smack to the head.

"Just hear me out." I sigh, nodding for her to sit down. "She was left on my doorstep about 2 weeks ago- 2 weeks?!" She cut me off. "You've had a kid for 2 weeks and you didn't think to tell me?!" She shouted, awakening Avery.

"Will you please stop shouting?" I growl, running into the other room to comfort Avery.
"I'm sorry but you've had a kid for 2 whole weeks and haven't said to anyone?" Her eyes widened.

"My mom knows, shes probably called my dad on work and told him, David came over unexpectedly one day and saw her. Alongside Johnny but I didn't exactly tell Johnny, he just figured through the phone call." I told her, patting Averys bottom to lull her back to sleep.

"Do you know who her mom is?"

That's something I'd hardly thought about since the day I got her.

Did I know her mother?

"Possibly. But she abandoned her. I wasn't just gonna turn my back on my daughter." I say.

"How do you even know shes your daughter?"

Before the full question came out, I had already laid the papers in front of her.

"Damn."