18

*1 month later*

Sophie's POV

My eyes stung as they tried to stay open as my hands rubbed together, feeling like sandpaper.

After my first week of monitoring, they put me through my detox process. Flushed my system of anything that could harm me any further.

Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since I've been fully clean of drugs and alcohol and I could feel my body shutting down a little more day by day.

It's been a full month since I saw Cameron or Avery, and I missed them more than anything in this world.

A knock on my door disrupted my thoughts before it swung open to reveal a woman in her mid 40s. "Hello Sophie. My name is Amara and I'm going to be working with you for the next few weeks. I've been past over your notes-" what was she talking about?

"W-what notes? Who? What have they been saying about me?!" I stood to my feet, my hands shaking in anger.

Amara looked taken aback by my action. "Sophie. There's no need to worry. I need you to calm down." She slowly walked towards me making me put up my hand, walking backwards.

"I'm not here to hurt you, I'm here to help you." She tried to coax me but I knew her plan, that's exactly why she was here.

"STAY AWAY!" I screamed and saw the opportunity to run out the door, down the hallway and into the furthest away room I could find. Doctors followed me, nurses, practitioners, medicalist, anyone.

"Sophie!" A familiar voice screeched, making me tempted to turn back but I kept going. My legs found a mind of their own, taking me down all kinds of twists and turns until I found the medical room. "Sophie..."

The voice got closer and I grabbed anything I could find. A knife.

I held it in front of me, my grip getting tighter as the door swung open.

"Baby..." Cameron appeared in front of me in a flash, making me question my vision. It wasn't him, it couldn't have been.

He walked closer, slowly, and I backed into the corner. "S-stay away." I mumble, shutting my eyes tightly. "Baby it's me. Cameron." I couldn't believe it. It was my mind playing tricks. I knew it wasn't him. "STAY AWAY!" I cry out, shaking in fear.

He took another step, his hand slowly reached for mine. "It's okay. You're okay baby." He hushed, his hand wearily taking hold on my wrist as my body froze. He pried the knife from my hands, placing it on the table behind him before he held my hands.

"Cameron?" I cry as my hands shakily feel his face. It was him. My Cameron. "Shh I've got you." He cooed, pulling me into his arms. My body relaxed as I felt the familiar feeling of his embrace.

Avery.

"Wh-where's my baby?" I sobbed, wanting nothing more than to have her in my arms.
"My mom and dad are watching her until I get back." He said as his hand ran up and down my back.

I dont know how long we stood there, just holding each other, but all I knew is that I never wanted to let go.

"How did they let you in?" I was under strict circumstances that I wasn't allowed any visits until my programme was finished.

"I'm bringing you home."

4 words that made my heart stop.

"H-home?" I asked.

He nodded with a smile.

Cameron's POV

Up until walking in and seeing Sophie, I had every intention on bringing her home.

Then seeing how she was with the knife, barely recognising me, my instincts told me to change my decision. But seeing the look on her face when I told her she was coming home, I couldn't find the heart in me to tell her otherwise.

"Gather your things together. I'm going to bring up something to eat from the cafe." I kiss her head, pulling the bag from under her bed and place it on top, leaving her to gather her things.

I walk down to the cafe and grab a tray, scanning over the various foods that you could choose from.

I knew her appetite was close from little to nothing so I picked out a fruit bowl, a yoghurt pot and some crackers along with a bottle of water.

"Visiting?" A voice appears beside me as a guy leans over to pick up some fruit. "Yeah. My girlfriend. You?" I ask, sliding the tray along the bar to the till. "My wife." I watch as his smile grows.

Exactly the same way mines does everytime I think about Sophie.

"How long has she been in here?" I say. "If you dont mind me asking." I quickly add, making the man chuckle. "Coming up 9 months. It's been a slow process." He bit his lip, lowering his head.

I had so many questions I wanted the answers to, but asking a guy I'd just met who's went through a bigger struggle than I have, didn't seem like the right time.

"Well, it was nice meeting you..." I trail off... "Luke." He offers his hand, letting me shake it. "Cameron." I nod, grabbing the tray and bidding my farewells before making my way upstairs to Sophie's room.

"There wasn't much you liked down there so I just grabbed.... Sophie?" I stop in my tracks. She slowly turned, holding a baby grow in her hands.

"I snuck this into my bags before I left. It still has her smell." She smiled teary eyed. I put down the tray and walked towards Sophie. "Half an hour. 30 minutes, eat something, we'll be back on the road and we'll be back with Avery in no time." I smile at the thought of my family being together again.

I kiss the top of her head, pulling her back into me, my only thoughts of taking Sophie home, back to Avery...

Back to me.