6

Cameron's POV

Well that's something I wasnt expecting.

It came to my attention after a mere 3 weeks of having Avery that I had no knowledge whatsoever of how to care for a baby.

So for the past 2 days, I had been cooped up in my bedroom, googling every kind of search that had to do with new borns.

Do you know that their first poop doesn't smell?

Or that they could possibly drink their own urine in the womb?

That's when I noticed something...

I had possibly drank my own piss. Ew.

I decided to shut off the laptop in fear of what else I may find and turn my attention to Avery.

She lay sprawled like an eagle on the opposite side of my bed, knocked out completely, drool hanging down the side of her face and her hair sticking up in all places.

I giggle silently, using my phone to snap a quick picture and set it as my lock screen before reaching for a nearby blanket to drape it over her.

Sometimes I found myself just staring at her.

It still didn't seem real.

I was now a dad. I'm a father.

I smile at the thought and lay down beside her, simply just admiring her as she slept.

It made me think, I had time off work. There was nothing to do around here and my parents had only seen her once. So... I made arrangements via texts between my parents and I to visit the following day.

Taking the time to analyse the events of the past few days, I never noticed how much I was really alone.

Sure David and Lia helped out when they could and Johnny was ever so helpful in giving me the time off work and the odd helping hand from my neighbour but 80% of the time, day in and day out, it was just me and Avery.

"What's the difference?" I mumble to myself as I look at two onesies that looked completely identical but according to Lia, they weren't.

"The one in your left hand is a dress that should fasten from underneath whereas the jean material is a romper." I look at her confused as I watch her eat crisps through the phone.

"I'm hopeless at this." I groan, lifting my phone to my face so she could see me properly. "Hey, you gotta start giving yourself some credit. You've done the majority of this on your own." She commented. "You haven't lost her yet, and you've managed to keep your house in the same condition that you bought it in. You're doing better than me." She chuckled.

I sigh, running my free hand through my hair before laying back down beside Avery. "Sometimes I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong." I huff, looking down to watch Avery sleep.

"You kept her. You care for her. You love her. You protect her. You provide for her. And even though shes only 3 months old, I can tell she already adores you. Give yourself some credit." She says, making me smile.

"I'm not too sure about that." I frown again, my doubting thoughts getting the better of me.

"The second I found out about her, I expected you to be worse than you actually were. But when I came over that day, I was shocked but surprised. Surprised at how well you were able to handle a baby." She noted.

"When I came in, and Avery became upset, you ran to her like her life depended on you getting to her in 3 seconds. The bond you two share is unique. I could tell within that 20 second moment. You're smitten with her as she is you. You're a great dad Cam. Dont ever think different." By the time Lia's speech was done, I was in tears..

Dont judge. I'm tired. And I get emotional when I'm tired.

"Thank you Lia. I really needed to hear that."
I smile, receiving one back.

"I think I'm gonna head to bed. Get an early night with Avery. Shes been fussy all day and I think it's because her beauty sleep got disrupted this morning by the fire alarm test." As I said fire alarm, Lia had a panicked look on her face.

"TEST. I set it up that it goes off randomly once a month to keep it in check and it so happens that it was at 2 o'clock this morning." I groan tiredly, unable to refuse a yawn.

"Dad life looks like its catching up to you." She chuckles. "Dad bod is not far behind." I grumble, slapping my stomach effectively. Man I gotta stop eating so much pizza and get to the gym.

"Get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow. Remember to give Avery a kiss goodnight from me." She asks and I nod, saying my 'see you later's' and ended the call.

I look to Avery, smiling as I hear mini snores escape her. Carefully as I could, I lift her up against my chest and began walking upstairs to the bedroom before laying her down on her spot on the bed.

Which reminded me.

I finally had her storage units and new bed coming tomorrow. I had done work to the spare room over the weekend, freshly painting it and setting up a few lights and whatnot.

It was coming together really well and I couldn't wait till it was finished.

"Finally your room will be fixed tomorrow and you'll not need to share with your old man." I whisper with a smile, kissing her forehead before laying her on her dockatot and tucking her into her favourite blanket.

"Goodnight princess." I whisper before letting my body sink under the covers on the opposite end before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.