19

Cameron's POV

I walked outside, carrying Sophie's bag with me as I rushed to dial my mothers number.

"Cameron? Hi sweetie, how are you?" She said in her normal cheery voice, making me smile momentarily.

"I'm good mom. I was actually calling for a favour." I bit my lip, closing my eyes as I breathed in the fresh air.

"Sure. What do you need?" There was no way Sophie would stay there and there was absolutely no way she was ready to be around Avery. "I need to take Avery for a bit. Just a couple days until I get things sorted at home."

The line went silent, making me nervous.

"Sophie's being released today. Which really surprises me. But I'm not sure she's ready to be around Avery just now. For both their sakes." I huff, running a hand over my face in frustration.

"Its no problem Cameron. We love having her here. Take all the time you need." She sighs. I missed her. With everything going on with work, Avery and Sophie, I never had a minute to see my parents.

"Thank you mom. This means a lot. Do you mind picking up her bag? The spare key is under the plant pot, her bags already packed at the door. I think it'll be too much for Sophie having to say goodbye again." I frown, wanting nothing more than to have both my girls by my side, but I knew I had to focus on Sophie.

She needed me.

"You're fathers on his way home from work. He'll pick it up on his way. Send Sophie our love." We say our goodbyes and I walk back into the clinic to help Sophie down to the car.

"Ready to go babe?" I call out as I walk into the room, seeing Sophie's back faced to me as she stared out of the window.

She breathed slowly, almost like she was in a trance as she barely moved an inch.

"I cant do this." She whispered as I walked closer. "W-what do you mean? Baby, you're coming home." I smile, moving to stand in front of her, cupping her face gently in my hands.

I stare into her eyes, getting lost in her beauty like I always did.

"We're going home. Me and you. Together, we said we're in this together." I whisper, watching as she leaned into my touch. "I asked my parents to watch Avery for a few days so we can settle in." I tell her gently, being cautious of any reaction I may get which was surprisingly relief.

I grabbed her hand and nodded to the door. We both walked out down to reception so Sophie could sign herself out and finally, we were back on the road.

As we pulled upto the driveway, she stepped out carefully, walking slower than a snail inside the house. She walked into the hallway, flinching as she heard the door behind me slam shut.

"You're okay." I whisper, resting my hands on her shoulders as I place a kiss to the back of her head. She turned in my arms, shoving her face against my chest as her arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

I've missed this.

Just having her close to me made it seem like there was no evil in the world.

"How about you go upstairs and get some rest. I'll bring up some water for you." I mumble, kissing her forehead before letting her hop upstairs.

As I walk in 5 minutes later with a glass of water in hand, I see Sophie curled up in a ball on the bed, her eyes closed. I gently rest the water on her table before climbing onto my side, looking over her beautiful features.

"Am I going to get better?" She murmurs, falling in and out of sleep. My heart breaks at the question and I gather her into my arms, letting her head rest under my chin. "We're gonna get you better, I promise baby." I whisper, running my hand up and down her arm.

"Get some sleep darling." I say, closing my eyes.
"Please dont leave me." She mumbles, her body finally relaxing as she falls into her slumber.

I frown at her words before pulling her closer.

"I'm never leaving you baby. I promise." I whisper directly into her ear, kissing her temple before pulling the blanket tighter around her shivering body.

As she drifts off to sleep in my arms, my mind cant help but wander to Avery.

I missed her like crazy. She had only been gone 5 hours but it felt longer.

All I wanted was for my family to be home, where they belonged.

I knew this would be hard. Not just for Sophie, but all of us. But I knew we'd get through it. We had to.

With the last thought of my daughter and the love of my life on my mind, I drift off to sleep, dreaming of the days we were going to be okay.