Chapter 28

Guess what?

Double update to celebrate my 10k reads on this book!!

*Cheers*

"August?" I heard Mack call out from my temporary bedroom. I was staying in his guest bedroom.

"I'm not here." I answered, pouting.

"Hey August. Please let me in. It's been a month, and you still won't tell us anything. You can't stay cooped up in that bedroom forever."

"His brother probably already told you anyway. Just leave me alone, please." I replied, as I started to cry again.

"We would like your side of things, August." He said gently knocking on the door again.

I walked over to the door and opened it. "He doesn't love me! Is that explanation enough?" I cried.

August wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly. "Now I'm sure that's not entirely true."

I huffed. "Him and the deceased alpha were lovers. They were suppose to reject their mates together and live together for the rest of their lives. But he died and then I came." I mumbled.

"Doesn't mean he doesn't love you. It just means he's having a hard time coping." Mack smiled sadly.

"He doesn't trust me. And he doesn't love me as much as he loved the other guy." I retorted.

"He loves you very much, August." Mack defended.

"Enough to want space away from me. And to keep secrets from me. And to not trust me. And- and-" I burst out crying, sinking to the floor.

"He hates me. What am I suppose to do?! He doesn't love me." I yelled, tears streaming down my face.

I hiccuped and stopped crying when I heard someone knocking on the bedroom door. I frowned at the alpha, Benjamin's brother.

"How are you doing?" He asked, smiling sadly.

"Tell him I hate him too!" I yelled, closing the door shut on him before crying again.

"That wasn't nice, August. He's the alpha." Mack muttered, opening the door again and apologising to the alpha.

"My brother and Leo were inseparable. They lived 15 long years together. It's not nothing." He whispered.

I bit my lip, looking up. "I know. And I'm nothing compared to that. Which is why he rejected me!" I burst out, pooling my shirt with tears.

"He didn't reject you, August." The alpha chuckled. "You're exaggerating."

"He might as well have. He wanted to." I replied, glaring at him.

"But he didn't." He replied.

"Because he didn't want to hurt my feelings. Well too bad, I'm hurt!" I exclaimed pushing them out of the doorway and closing my bedroom door before locking it. I cried, leaning against the door.

"August. Come on out. I won't give you lunch if you don't come out." Mack called out. I huffed, unlocking my bedroom door and walking out.

"Can I have lunch please." I mumbled. He smiled, kissing my forehead.

"Of course."

The alpha smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, August."

I shrugged, sitting at the table. Alicia smiled at me, patting my head.

"Would you like to know what I got everyone for Christmas?" She asked, distracting me.

I nodded, wiping my tears. "Yes please."

She nodded. "I got my mate and I matching pajamas and a matching set of clothes." She smiled, before she leaned onto me to whisper into my ear. "I got my sister a really nice bracelet and Mack cool pairs of socks."

"That's nice." I mumbled. "I'm sure they'll be happy with what they get."

She nodded, holding my hand comfortingly. "You'll be ok, August. You'll be alright." She then whispered. I nodded, biting my lip as I started crying again.

"No more crying. Food's here." Mack cheered, putting the homemade pizzas on the table.

"Thank you." I whispered, wiping my tears away.

"Can I join?" The alpha asked.

"Of course you can buddy." Mack smiled, pointing at the chair next to me. The alpha nodded, sitting besides me.

We all grabbed a slice and started eating. After one slice I headed to the bathroom to throw up. I lost quite a bit of my appetite and my vomiting has become more frequent.

"Are you ok?" The alpha asked when I came back.

I nodded, drinking a glass of water. "I'm fine." I answered, getting up and putting my dishes in the dishwasher.

"I need to tell you guys something." The alpha started, glancing at me. I walked up to him, nodding. "Benjamin is coming down in a week. It's strickly business but I still wanted to tell you guys. Especially you, August. I don't know if he'll ask to see you or not, he hasn't talked to me about it. Just don't get surprised if he comes knocking at your door." He finished.

I hummed, nodding before walking away. I was beside myself. Heartbroken.