Chapter Nine: Angela Emerges

Angelo, now having decided to take on the role of Angela full time, became fast friends with Tanya over the next few weeks of the summer before they were both to enter senior high school. They were constantly together, giggling and playing together in each other homes. Quite frequently they were found begging to be dropped off at the mall to shop.

Angelo's foster mother, couldn't have been more pleased that the shy, almost terrified, barely 14-year-old boy who had arrived at her home not long ago was quickly becoming the giggly teen-aged girl she'd alway dreamed of raising.

Nonetheless, there was a lingering fear that this idyllic summer would have to end with Angelo going to school as Angela and having to face difficult questions about his gender.

Added to that was the question of Child Protective Services, which had placed Angelo with her as a male child in need of protection. Mary knew Anna didn't exactly agree with her allowing Angelo to exhibit feminine behavior.

One day in July, Anna Simms stopped by the house for an unscheduled visit to see how Angelo was getting along.

Luckily, Angelo was not at home. He was visiting Tanya that day, thus avoiding the chance that Ms. Simms would see the child dressed as a girl, and acting in a most feminine manner.

She did ask to see where Angelo was sleeping, and Mary Elizabeth was forced to show her the child's room, still decorated in a most girlish, frilly style.

"I thought you were going to make this into a boy's room," she inquired.

"Oh, we've been so busy," Mary Elizabeth replied. "Besides, it doesn't seem to bother Angelo."

"I think you'd better try to change it soon, Mrs. Dayton. I'm going to have to put this in my report. When I come by next time, I'll want to see this room converted to one more conducive to raising a boy."

Mary didn't know what to say. She didn't want to say the wrong thing and give Miss Simms more ammo to justify taking Angelo away so she said what she knew Miss Simms wanted to hear, "Okay. We can do that. Give me a couple of weeks."

Anna Simms also asked to see where Angelo kept his boy clothes. "All I see are girl clothes in this closet. In fact, it seems like there's more here now than last time."

"Oh no, Ms. Simms. Here are Angelo's clothes," she replied as she led Anna Simms to a single dresser drawer where Angelo's meager belongings, the same clothes he had brought to the house, were stored.

"Is that all there is?"

"Well, there's a load in the laundry," Mary lied.

"Mrs. Dayton," the social worker began. "I feel Angelo is perfect for you, but he needs to be treated as a boy. It seems you've maintained an intimidating, feminine atmosphere here. It feels as though you are forcing your desires for a daughter, on him. He deserves a safe, nurturing, empowering environment where he can grow into the strong, confident man he is genetically destined to become. "

Mary Elizabeth wanted to give Miss Simms a piece of her mind but merely nodded instead, recognizing that wouldn't be in the best interests of her or Angelo at the moment, given that it appeared Miss Simms sincerely felt she was looking out for the best interest of the child.

"We may have to have a closer review of this placement," she continued. "When Angelo starts school in a few weeks, you'll have no choice but to make sure he attends as a boy or give him up."

Mary Elizabeth Dayton sighed as she led Miss Simms to the door. She knew the woman had no choice but to wonder about the feminine life style she had created for her charge.

She recalled her friend, Sharon, warning that Child Protective Services might not look with understanding on the process of letting Angelo live as a girl. Yet, she knew in her heart, that Angela would never have peace in her mind unless she lived as a girl. The child knew that, and Mary Elizabeth knew it, but Miss Simms, well, she didn't see it that way.

Reaching her car, Anna Simms opened the door, then turned around. She paused a moment before starting to speak back to Mary Elizabeth, still standing in the doorway. "Mary, not that I agree with her totally, but my supervisor has read Angelo's file and she has taken a particular interest in this case. She's has given me specific instructions for what to look for and demanded I keep a closer eye on Angelo.

"Look, I understand how badly you wanted to adopt and I don't doubt your ability to provide a child with the care, love, and support he or she needs. I also know how badly you wanted the child placed with you, to be a girl. Just take some time to evaluate the situation objectively. From our point of view the evidence appears as though you are projecting your desires onto Angelo in order to get what you want. "