Chapter Fourteen: Faith in Spite of Necessity

The next pressing problem facing Angelo was school; he was due to begin attending school in two weeks and if he didn't get in to the Arts School he would be attending the high school in Mary Elizabeth's neighborhood.

The school once had been the gem of the city's system, but changing demographics had turned it into a school full truancy, bullying, violence and poor grades. Even though she lived in a neighborhood that retained much of the old working class nature, the school had changed. Mary Elizabeth frankly was concerned over the fate of a tender, sweet boy like Angelo.

It was good fortune that Angelo (as Angela) met Jason in the mall and had been informed of the possibility of attending the Arts School. Angelo had applied to enter the school and on the next Monday was scheduled for an audition.

On the Saturday before the audition, Angelo went over to Tanya's house to rehearse with her and her older sister, Heather, who was home from college for the weekend. As he dressed to leave, Mary Elizabeth noticed Angelo had put on his girl jeans, the pink tennis shoes and wore a collarless dark purple unisex top.

"No way, Angelo," she said, halting him as he as about to leave. "I told you that we were going to be wearing boy stuff. You have to get used to it."

"Oh mommy, please, no one will notice. These look like boy clothes."

"No honey, with that long hair and the way you handle yourself, they'll only see a girl in jeans."

"Please. Why not?" "You know ‘why not?' If I permit you to be a girl, or to act like one, they'll take you from me."

"Okay, fine, I'll change."

"And change everything. I know you have on panties and knee highs and a cami underneath."

"Yes ma'am."

Mary Elizabeth was beside herself now. Being dressed as a boy seemed totally out of character for Angelo. How, indeed, could he ever revert to living as a boy again, she wondered. He seemed happy as a girl, but she knew she had to try.

As Angelo came out of his bedroom totally dressed totally as a boy.  honey, you look like a very handsome boy. Remember what the young man said in the store? "

"Yes, ma'am, he was nice."

"Yes, he was. Now, run along to Tanya's and don't forget to take your Shakespeare book so you can rehearse."

Angelo headed for the door, and Mary Elizabeth halted him, grabbing his arm. "Now honey, please try to walk like a boy."

When Angelo arived, Tanya and her older sister, Heather, were surprised to see Angelo dressed as a boy, not having been made aware that Mary Elizabeth had already begun the process of remaking him as a male.

"Mommy wants me to be a boy all the time now," he explained. "but I don't feel like a boy."

"Oh, but you're cute as a boy," Tanya exclaimed.

"I guess," Heather, a tall, muscular, blonde 19-year-old interjected. "I think you're still a girl, Angela."

Angelo blushed.

"I think you're sweet, either as a girl or a boy," Heather continued. 

"Angela came over to practice her audition for the Arts School, Heather," Tanya announced, using his feminine name.

"Well, let's see what you got then," Heather told him.

Heather and Tanya sat transfixed as Angelo recitrc his lines to rehearse the Hamlet piece the school had assigned him. He read it in a breathy, low voice, seeking to give meaning to the words.