Chapter Ten: What to Do?

Angelo bounded into the house, just as Mary Elizabeth was about to prepare supper. The child bubbled with excitement. The short ponytail of hair that poked out of the back of his pink baseball cap bobbed up and down.

Still worried about the recent visit by the social worker, Mary couldn't help but smile at this lovely, vivacious girl before her, dressed in a blue and white polka- dot mini skirt, and white short sleeved tee shirt emblazoned with pink and light blue appliqué letters that read, "Sungmin #1."

"Mommy, mommy," Angelo exclaimed breathlessly, "I saw the most loveliest prom dress, today. In fact, I tried it on! Tanya's older sister, Heather was home for the weekend, and it was her gown from her senior year in high school. She let me try it on."

"Did you pester Heather to let you try it on? I know how you can get when you want something."

"No ma'am. It was her idea. Honest."

Heather, Tanya's older sister, who was beginning her freshman year at Gent State University and had come home for the weekend. It was the end of August, and she had just finished freshman orientation, returning home for a date with her boy friend.

"Angela. Does Heather know about you? That you're a boy."

"Oh mommy. I'm not a boy. I'm a girl."

Mary sighed. She understood this is how Angelo felt but she heard Miss Simms words play over in her head.

She pushed the conflict in her mind, aside and asked again, "Does Heather know?"

"Yes, she does, and she thinks it's cool."

"Good, and that's nice. How did you look in the dress?"

"Oh mommy, It was too big, but I still looked scrumptious in it." That's what Heather said. ‘Scrumptious.'"

Angelo began to giggle, interrupting her conversation.

"What's so funny?" Mary Elizabeth asked. "Well, that's when Tanya told her about me, that I have boy's parts. We'd been talking and doing things for over two hours with her, and she was convinced I was a girl. Isn't that neat?"

"I know honey. You're really a pretty girl."

"And Heather had told Tanya I was the prettiest girl friend she'd ever brought home. That was before she was told I was a boy. Isn't that cool?" At that Angela skipped about the room, joyfully.

Mary Elizabeth was so taken with this display of unvarnished joy and feminine reaction that she began to dread what would happen when she began the process of returning Angelo to the world of boys.

She thought she'd talk to Angelo about it later and asked Angelo to describe the dress. "Well, it was light green and had narrow straps over the shoulders. It was short, mommy. Came to about here." Angelo indicated about halfway down his thigh with his hand.

"It sounds lovely, Angela."

"And it'll fit me better when my breasts fill out a bit. She said I can wear it if I get a date for the prom in the spring."

"Oh darling, I don't know about that. You're only 14 and you've been wearing girl stuff only a few weeks now. Not only that, but we're still not sure you'll get into the arts specialty school. We'll know Monday."

Angelo hugged Mary hard. "Oh mommy, thank you so much for letting me be a girl."

Mary Elizabeth sighed, her heart heavy as she contemplated how she was going to deal with the child's desire and need to be a girl. Probably the child had never been happier in her life than she was at this moment.

And now, I have to spoil it, she thought to herself.