| 05 | LOST

.•° °•.

"I see... So you found Gumball two days ago, and now you're taking him in until his mom returns?"

I nod easily with my phone held to my ear, listening to Suran's voice while I make a sandwich. Turns out there's already images of Gumball and I circulating online, but Bighit are taking care of it. I've got to be extra careful from now on.

"I wouldn't exactly call it taking him in... Just watching the headache so he doesn't run into any more cars."

"Well I think what you're doing is sweet. What's he up to now?"

"Uh..." I tilt on one foot to view Gumball on the livingroom rug, scribbling some drawings beside his open storybook as per usual.

"Just doodling. It seems to keep him busy, so I'm not complaining."

"Maybe he'll be an artist when he grows up." She chuckles. "And the song? How's that going?"

"Pretty good. I have most of the lyrics down, now I just need a title..."

"I'm sure you'll come up with something great. You always do."

Her comment makes me press back a brief smile.

"By the way, what were you going to tell me yesterday?"

"Hm?"

"Our morning picnic. You said you had something to tell me."

"Oh, that..." I can hear the nervousness in her laughter before she eventually answers,

"Maybe another time. It's not important... I gotta go, speak to you soon." She hangs up.

Why are women so confusing...

Putting down the phone, I sigh and bring the goopy sandwich over to the living room where I set the plate on a coffee table.

"There, I made you a PB&J."

Gumball stares at me, looks down and continues coloring.

"Yo, kid." I snap my fingers. "I didn't make this for no reason. So get to eating."

He doesn't respond, but only shows me the lake he scribbled in with blue crayon, amongst a smiley-faced sun and little yellow ducks.

"Yeah yeah, pretty lake now eat the food."

At my stern tone, Gumball finally puts down the coloring book, places his storybook in my hands and sits on the couch beside me with his sandwich on his lap. His eyes don't blink nor break from mine, as if waiting for something.

I think he wants me to read to him while he eats...

"Fine. But this is a one-time thing so don't get any ideas."

His naturally pudgy cheeks squish and rotate with every tiny chomp he takes out of the white bread. I sigh whilst opening the dreadful-looking book...

"The Lost Little Duckling, by Sue Barraclough..."

"One sunny morning, Mother Duck led her four new ducklings down to the old pond. 'Stay close, little ones,' she told them. But one little duckling didn't do as told, she didn't follow her mother across the water..."