8. Team up

E V E R E T T

E V E R E T T

CONVINCING THE PRINCIPAL TO to let me become the student body president was easy, but it was even easier to convince Ali and Lily to join the council. They were in on this insane plan as much as I was.

If I really was going to end up spending my whole senior year in this town while being Jada and Arjun's biggest target, I could at least build a protective net of friends who would have my back. The only place to find them was at the student council. Plus, mentioning I had been student body president of probably the most screwed up high school in the state, would most likely look great on my college application.

I guess I was listening to my dad after all. However, I had no expectation that this was going to help me move on from Emma's death. Maybe I would think of her less when diving into student council business along with school work but she was stuck in my mind. I wasn't getting away so easily.

Today, after the weekend, I talked to Kevin and he was completely immersed in the idea of joining the council, and quickly agreed. I just needed to gather a few more people who wanted to make a change around here? But who and how?

"How many more do we need to pull this off, anyway?" Kevin asked during lunchtime in the loud cafeteria.

I put my sandwich down on my tray."There are eight roles. President, Vice President, organizational leaders, arrangement and well-being manager, sports manager, finance manager, media manager, teaching and rights manager."

Kevin's eyes widened. "How the hell are we supposed to find four more people?"

I shook my head. "Not necessarily. I have an idea. I was thinking the organizational leader can also take the well-being part, the sports manager can also take the arrangement job, and the finance manager can also be responsible for the media. This leads us to six members in total, which means we only need two more members."

"-Good morning, President."

I turned and met a pair of lively brown eyes. It was Isha with a mischievous grin on her face while the rest of the gang was right behind her. Expecting a murderous glare from her, my gaze snapped to Jada first. However, the anger on her face from yesterday was exchanged with a cocky smile. Well, at least she didn't look like she wanted to grab me and rip me apart. That was a relief.

I offered Isha a small smile. "Isha, right? I don't want any trouble. Seriously. So just leave us alone and we'll leave you alone."

Suddenly intrigued, Jada gasped and looped an arm around Isha's shoulders. "Hey, Isha? Did you hear what he just said? Trouble. He doesn't want any trouble. Why don't you tell him how that's a problem here?"