21. Yuuki

E V E R E T T

E V E R E T T

"How are you so good at this? Seriously, Lana. You should be a pro gamer," I said, completely stunned over how good she was at this game. We had played countless rounds so far and she had only been landing in the first place.

I thought I was good, but Lana was on a different level. Seated on each end of the couch with our toes touching, Lana and I had been at my place playing Mario Kart for half an hour now. Well, I guess I could also call it her old house. I had no idea my parents bought Lana's old house. I was still shocked over how she was able to be in here at all. That's kind of why I suggested we play Mario Kart together so she wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the memories of her childhood in this house. Hopefully. I wasn't sure if it was working. She had the most difficult straight face to read. 

"You play a lot, don't you? I see you playing in class and during lunch..." I trailed off when I realized how wrong that came out.
"I mean not that I watch you or anything. It's just noticeable. Not that I don't try to notice you or keep an eye on you. I mean...I'm not stalking you or anything. I just...What I mean is-"

"-Stop talking."

I nodded as I felt embarrassment color my cheeks. "Yes. Got it. My point is, it's cool that you play a lot."

Lana shrugged and returned her attention to her screen.

"I used to too, but not much since Emma died three months ago," I admitted, trying to get Yoshi to second place, which Toad had currently claimed.

Lana's eyes jerked up. "Only three months ago?"

"Uh, yeah. It happened at the end of the summer." For some reason, it was easy to tell this kind of stuff to Lana. Maybe because she was the first person I had met who understood what it felt like to lose a family member. Someone you thought was always going to be in your life but then they suddenly vanished, leaving you feeling so empty and dead inside.

Sympathy glinted across her eyes before she dropped her gaze and murmured, "I'm sorry."

We continued playing for a while in silence and even though Lana wasn't smiling or anything, I could see all of a sudden a hint of excitement across her eyes. However, she didn't shy away from putting on a frown when I finally beat her and she came in second place.

I smiled. "Come on. Second place isn't so bad."

"Second place is the first one to lose," she muttered.

I raised my brows as I realized the truth to that statement. "Well, shit. Now I never want to come second."

"Hey, you two." Lana's gaze slid past me and over to dad who was standing in the doorway with a friendly smile stitched on his face.