First Iteration

[I'm posting half of this chapter early since it's super long!]

This chapter is going to switch perspectives a lot - this is (almost) where the fun begins!

Your POV

I caught up to Harry.

"Hey, were you leaving?" I tried to keep a normal face and clear my head of everything Mal just told me, but I'm not the best at concealing my emotions. Hopefully he won't catch on.

He gulped, and then said, "Yea, I thought maybe you weren't coming. You seem a bit off, is everything okay?"

"Why wouldn't I come? I just got held up with some other stuff." Great, he knows something is wrong. "Am I looking off?"

"No, uh is there something you want to tell me about?"

Harry's POV

I didn't want her to know I was eavesdropping, and I wanted to see how much she was planning on telling me about what Mal said.

No, don't do this. You may be used to lying, but if you want people to see you in a different light then you have to act differently.

"Before you say anything (y/n), I have to tell you something,"

"Yea, what is it?"

"I was waiting out here for you, but since it was getting kind of late I decided to check out Auradon Prep, then I decided to go towards the girls dorms because maybe you thought I would get you from your room, and on the way I heard two girls arguing so I thought let's see what this is about - one sec let me catch my breath - and before I knew it I was eavesdropping on your conversation with Mal." That wasn't so hard, was it?

Your POV

"Wow you can speak really fast," he gave me a small smile, "How much did you hear?" Ew. I hope he didn't hear any of the parts when I was acting lovey-dovey.

"Not much really, just Mal trashing me and you actually defending the new VKs. Why would you stand up for people you don't know anything about?"

"I don't know, I guess I just feel like everyone in Auradon is acting ultra paranoid and is seeming to forget you guys are just regular teenagers like us. Anyways, it was her idea to bring down the barrier, so she should be the last person talking bad about the Isle kids behind closed doors."

"Well, I don't know if this is my place to say anything - it probably isn't - but from knowing Mal since a very young age, she can be a little two-faced sometimes."

As much as I hated to hear him say it, there was truth in his statement. She's never the same person to me as she is to Evie, and isn't the same to Evie as she is to Ben. Maybe she feels she needs to be different around different people - it's probably an issue developed from her childhood on the Isle.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. But enough about Mal, we're going to the Isle today right?"

"That's what I promised. What's all the excitement about anyway?"

"Ever since I was young, I could see a glimpse of the Isle from my bedroom window. Every time I looked out there I couldn't help but want to go there, to meet the kids who lived there, to see their homes, their way of life. It all seemed so new and exciting. And when I went to the Isle, you know, to get the wand back, it was everything I imagined it to be. Thrilling, unknown, jagged. At least, from what I saw of it."

"I mean, that's one way to see it. But trust me it gets old after a while, until all you can see are the broken houses and people, the week-old food, and the smell of disappointment throughout the air. Fine, maybe the last part's a little exaggerated."

Harry's POV

I saw her laugh after that last part. Wow, she's really gorgeous.

Your POV

I didn't say anything after that, I was too busy taking everything in. With every step we got closer to the other side of the bridge - and the Isle.

Harry began humming something, to fill up the silence I guess. It sounded vaguely familiar for some reason.

"Wait, what are you humming?"

"It's called "Lost on the Isle"."

"Sing it for me, I feel like I know it."

"Fine, I suck at singing, but this is how it goes:

Do you got plans tonight?

I'm a couple hundred miles from the Isle and I,

was thinking I could walk to your dad's lair tonight

'Cause I-I-I can't get you off my mind

Can't get you off my mind

Can't get you off my mind (oh)

Let's get lost tonight

Let's get lost tonight"

I began to laugh - like can't breathe can't stop kind of laughing.

"Was I that bad?" He began to laugh as well.

"No it's not you at all, it's the song. It's like a messed up version of "Lost in Japan" by Shawn Mendes."

"Who?"

"Shawn Mendes, the famous singer. This is how it's supposed to go:" I spoke the words instead of singing because if he thought he sucked at singing he does not want to hear me.

"Do you got plans tonight?

I'm a couple hundred miles from Japan, and I

I was thinking I could fly to your hotel tonight

'Cause I-I-I can't get you off my mind

Can't get you off my mind

And then the 'let's get lost tonight' part is the same."

"Well, that doesn't make sense at all. It's the Isle of the Lost, that's why the line is 'let's get lost tonight'."

"I guess some songs are censored in the Isle."

I began to laugh again. "I'm sorry, but 'I'm a couple hundred miles from the Isle and I was thinking I could walk to your dad's lair tonight'? I will never be able to get over that." I looked over at Harry and he was laughing as well. What was Mal even going on about? He seems like an amazing person.

"Okay, but you have to admit, it has a ring to it." He began to say the line over and over again.

"Fine, you have a point, but please stop saying it - it's going to ruin the real version!" I said jokingly.

I looked up, and before I knew it, we were at the end of the bridge - we were at the Isle.

Btw I do not own rights to the song "Lost in Japan" by Shawn Mendes - see you soon!