Unsubstantiated Assumptions

A bit of a longer chapter :)

The next day...

When I woke up, I had a sudden thought.

"Johnny!" He was already awake and sitting up in bed, trying to figure out some of my video games.

"What is it?" I think I might have startled him.

"I have an idea - a reason why the kiss might not have worked."

"Go on." He said hesitantly.

"Maybe it didn't work because Harry and I haven't ever kissed before. We wouldn't know what it felt like - that makes sense right?"

"You haven't kissed each other yet?"

"Johnny, that isn't really the point is it?"

"I suppose not - I guess that does make sense."

"That would explain so much-" A reminder popped up on my phone: Day 2 Interviews.

Shoot!

"Oh no! I forgot - I need to be there for the second round of interviews, I can't meet at the library with you and Uma until at least noon! Wait, I forgot, Uma has to be there too!"

"Are you sure you're up for the interviews (y/n)? Considering yesterday? I'm sure Ben can do without you. You and I can start and Uma can join us whenever." Just Johnny and I? Considering my state of mind recently, that would be even worse than going for the interviews. I need to sort out my thoughts - my very unnatural thoughts.

"No, I made a commitment, I have to see it through. Plus, it's supposed to be shorter today. We finished the bulk of the interviews yesterday - I'll tell Ben he can handle the room assignment without me."

"Fine, I guess I'll start the research without you - meet me at the library the moment you're done."

"You can follow this," I handed him a map of the school from my side table I had picked up for Uma, "and head to the library - the cafeteria is open so you can grab breakfast." Assigning tasks gave me a much-needed sense of control. "Or you can stay here and try out some video games, it really doesn't matter to me."

I went to the washroom, picked out an outfit, and brushed through my hair. I was just about to leave when I remembered last night.

"Johnny?"

"Yea what's up?" He took his eyes off the screen - he was just about to start a game.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you last night."

"You don't need to apologize."

"I just felt bad about it."

"Well, don't - seriously. You're going to be late now, I'm fine really!"

"Okay then, I'll see you later."

"See you." He flashed me a smile that reassured me he didn't take my tone last night to heart. I'm so glad he's unproblematic.

I grabbed a quick bite from the cafeteria on the way to the interview room. When I entered the rest of them were already there.

All 3 pairs of eyes shot towards me. This is awkward already.

Hey - I'm not late am I?"

"(Y/N), you didn't need to come today, we would have handled it." Ben began. This was followed by agreement from Mal and Uma.

"I'm fine guys, really."

He continued. "Are you sure? Breakups can be really hard-"

"It wasn't a breakup!" I snapped. "Agh!" I clutched my wrist. I felt a shock - rooting exactly from where my bracelet sat.