Chapter 6 - A Summer Date

It was a cool sunny day and Summer was busy grocery shopping. She enjoyed the little break from her heavy work schedule. Life on her own was certainly difficult, but she had resolved much of her main conflicts and issues.

Her thoughts turned to the young man at the convenient store. She smiled to herself. He came on so strong. She was not ready for a relationship. Summer had been through a revolving cycle of men, one after another - the lazy bums, the crack heads, the liars, the abusers, the cheaters. The thought of them made her blood boil. Why would this guy be any different? But she couldn't get Don out of her mind. Every time she filled her gas tank, and sometimes in between, she thought of him.

After leaving the  grocery store, she looked at her watch, 3:30. "Quick King" was about five miles out of her way. Should she or not? Feeling brave, she headed toward the store. But instead of pulling into the "Quick King" parking lot, she pulled into a neighboring parking lot. Summer sat for a while debating. If I go in, there's no going back. I will be caught up in another relationship. If I don't go, I will regret it, maybe forever.

Summer checked her reflection in the rear view mirror. She looked quite good, definitely better than she looked the first time they met. Slowly she pulled in and parked near the front entrance. Anticipation overwhelmed her as she stepped inside. Sheldon was in the middle of ringing up a customer, spotted her, and could barely get through the transaction. Summer approached the counter.

"Summer, where have you been?" His face lit up as though he had spotted an angel from heaven..

"Well, I . . . "

"It doesn't matter. You are here now."

Bob heard part of the conversation and stepped out of his office. "Hello Summer. Pleased to meet you. Sheldon has spoken fondly of you." Bob glanced at his watch. Another hour left on Sheldon's shift. He could cover. "Sheldon, you can go. Enjoy the rest of your day. See you Monday."

"I can? Thank you, Bob, I owe you one."

They stepped outside.

"You look so good, so much more relaxed."

"Yes. The past few months have been rather chaotic and stressful. Recently it's been better. I've even been remembering to fill up my tank. You can see I've returned, not because I needed to, but because I wanted to."

Her words warmed his heart. Sheldon was full of anticipation. They had to get out of the parking lot and into a more private setting. "How would you like to go out for dinner?"

"I would love that. Do you have any place in mind? "

"No. I'm not from around here." Whoops, am I saying? I can anticipate what she is about to ask. Don't let it slip out that I'm rich, he thought.

"Where are ---–,"

"Why don't you choose the place."

"There's Rocky's, a scenic restaurant about 7 miles from here. Dress is casual, no reservation required, and a panoramic view of the town."

"Sounds perfect."

"Follow me, I'll meet you there. From here, turn left on Parker Road, turn right on highway 8 south.

10 minutes later they arrived.

"Wow, what a beautiful spot. That hill is steep. It's really up there," Sheldon remarked, as he looked up.