Chapter 14 - The Winding Path

Route one, 0-mile marker at last! Branches cluttered sidewalks and parking lots. Most buildings appeared to be intact. Some had minor damage. Sheldon approached a quaint café that looked particularly inviting. He pulled his rental car into the shadiest spot he could find. The back seat was packed full of nonperishables, along with coolers, cases of water, orange juice and milk he had bought along the way.

He seated himself by a window, stretched his arms, rolled his neck, and took a deep breath. What a long day already and a long day ahead, he thought.

Sheldon couldn't help but think about Carlos. Tanned from head to toe, donned in a bright yellow see-through tank top, defining every detail of his muscular chest. The two of them, working together side by side, hot and sweaty. He'd play helpless. And where would they be staying overnight? Sheldon didn't want to think about it.

A cheerful waiter approached his table. "Good morning, sir. Welcome to Benny's. What would you like?"

"May I please have a cup of coffee, that's all."

"Absolutely. Coming right up."

"Can you tell me anything about the hurricane damage here?"

"Yes, around here we only experienced heavy winds and rain, power outages, minor damage. Farther down south experienced more."

He glanced at his watch, 7:45. It was time to call Jerry.

"Hi Jerry. I'm at a café down the road. Where are you?"

"Hello Sheldon. Welcome to Key Largo. I am at 150 Oak drive. We are divided into two groups, working on two houses side by side. My blue truck is parked at the first house, tan with black trim. I'll meet you there. I'm the guy with the red hat, red shirt, and the 40 inch beer belly."

Sheldon placed his tip on the table and approached the cashier. Her red lipped smile contrasted against her otherwise unmade face.

"Miss, would you happen to have anything available to feed a large group, about six dozen?"

She hesitated, her smile faded as she thought. "We do have an assortment of donuts, muffins and bagels."

"Perfect."

She handed him the large white sack of fresh-baked goods. "Have a great day, sir."

"Thank you. You do the same."

Sheldon entered the car. The fresh-baked smell made him hungry, but he had to wait. He mustn't get any crumbs on the plush seats of his rental car.

He spotted Jerry gathering tools outside his truck. Jerry wiped off his forehead, smiled and waved. Sheldon pulled in and cranked down the window.

"What all do you have there?" Jerry said, pointing to the food.

"Cold water, milk, nonperishables, baked goods, fresh fruit, cereal."

"You didn't have to do that."

"It's no problem, just this once. Besides, my pIan has to run on schedule."

"What is it you are planning?"

"You have to keep this to yourself. I hired a sky writing service to deliver a marriage proposal exactly at 9:50."

"Wow"

"Yes, and just to let you know, I proposed to her years earlier. I didn't set a date. This time I want to show her I'm serious."

Summer's Spellजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें