Chapter 9 - The Prodigal Son

Sheldon did not like elevators, but did not feel like walking up 22 flights of stairs. Luckily, this time, the elevator made no other stops. Sheldon had missed the last shareholder's meeting, but his dad informed him of all the office renovation. He was anxious to see it himself.

Gone were the cubicles. The suite was one spacious open area. With the abundance of plants and natural lighting, the suite looked more like an upscale hotel lobby than a traditional office area. Workstations were mobile. Some workers were conducting a meeting in the corner; others were working in a designated quiet area. Those that preferred to exercise were set up to work at treadmill stations. The workers smiled and nodded as Sheldon walked by.

This work environment is a far cry from the dreary store where I had been working, he thought. He made his way to his father's office. The vivacious lady behind the desk greeted him with a smile.

"Well, hello Sheldon. So nice to see you. How was your summer?"

"Hello Gloria. My summer was fine, thanks."

She buzzed Walter's office.

"Walter, you have a visitor. Go on in."

Walter was in the middle of a phone conversation. He motioned Sheldon to come in. Sheldon took a seat on the couch across from Walter's desk. On the edge of his desk were two framed photos. One was a photo of the three of them as a family, in happier times. Another was a glamour photo of his mother, dark wind blown hair, bewitching brown eyes, red glossy lips.

Why didn't Dad forget her? he thought. She was making over six figures at the time she left, causing them to struggle. Women can get by without paying child support, at least that's what his Dad told him. It wasn't until Sheldon was a teenager that Walter was able to resume his real estate career full time.

"Ed, I'll call you back."

Walter took a seat beside his son.

"Well, well, if it isn't the prodigal son. So good to see you. You extend your stay. I wasn't sure you were coming back."

"There was actually a time I thought about staying, believe it or not. I suppose you heard about the robbery on the other side of town."

"Yes. You gave me quite a scare before I realized it was another store. So glad you're back." He grinned, glancing at Sheldon's wrinkled attire. "I see you didn't get a chance to iron your clothes."

"Let me tell you about apartment life. For one thing, the laundry machines robbed all my spare change; I had to make several trips back and forth to the laundry room; I practically got attacked by dogs in the process; and to top it off, my laundry still wasn't completely clean and dry. Do you know where I ended up doing my laundry?"

"Not in the sink?"

"Close, in the bathtub."

"Rent was insanely expensive, but the amenities were worth it. Window-side theater, for instance. Free and available 24/7, you just grab a chair and a pair of binoculars, watch the screaming kids playing in the parking lot, the honking cars drag racing, barking dogs chasing people. And then there's the Party Animal Show. See the guys car surfing, regurgitating from alcohol intake. Hear the blasting loud music, the fire crackers exploding. Entertainment at its best."

"Great experience for comedy material. How did your act go?"

"I didn't get a chance to finish. I got "booed" and chased off stage by a bouncer."

"I don't want to say, 'I told you so.' "

Sheldon shrugged.

"You know, it's all how you look at things. Take people for instance, us rich folks can be very pretentious, competitive, spoiled. But the rich, like all other people, are multi-faceted. For instance, the same people who are obsessed with their fortune are also campaigning for social causes, participating in charity events, coaching inner city basketball teams."

"And, sure, life can be dull and meaningless if everything is handed to you on a silver platter. But there are also a plethora of opportunities to challenge yourself. I think a career in real estate sales would suit you well. It's how I started out, a real working job. Have you thought about it? Maybe now would be a good time."

"Yes, I have been thinking about that. Now that I missed fall semester classes I have a few months to explore the opportunity."

"Fantastic. All you need to do is set yourself up with pre-licensing classes and a brokerage firm."

"Sure Dad. Sounds exciting. It's good to be home." He stood up to go.

"Can you stay just a bit longer? How about a drink?"

"Sure, I could use a cup of coffee."

"Coming right up."

After pouring the coffee, Walter returned to his desk. He picked up his radio.

"Joe, could you please report to my office? Oh, and, bring your apprentice."

A uniformed man, with a tool belt around his waist, walked through the door. He was followed by a young, petite uniformed lady, her brown hair tousled.

Sheldon stared at her.

"Victoria, is that you?"

"Yes, of course, Sheldon."

"Why are you in that uniform? What happened to you? You look sick. And your blonde hair turned mousy brown."

Victoria folded her arms.

"That's hardly the reaction I expected from you; and honestly, you don't look so hot yourself. Your clothes are all wrinkly and you need a shave."

He laughed, "I deserved that. You just took me by surprise."

"I am now part of the maintenance team employed by Merrick PM. Joe is training me. We handle all cleaning and maintenance issues. And no, this is not a glamorous job. I did not put on makeup or get my hair or nails done," she declared, as she held up her hands. "I thought you would approve of my natural look. You were always after me to ditch the beauty routine."

"I was."

Joe's radio sounded. "Running toilet, suite 3322, men's bathroom."

"We gotta go. Gotta catch that running toilet. Nice meeting you, Sheldon."

"Likewise. Oh, and Victoria, may I have the honor of dining with you tonight?"

"With a plain Jane like me?"

"Okay, you can put on your make-up. I'll shave and wear a tie. Pick you up at 6?"

"You're on. See ya."