Chapter 12 - Surprise

It was a cool sunny autumn day, foliage colors at their peak, the smell of burning wood filled the air. Sheldon wanted to go out and enjoy the weather, but he was stuck inside this open house showing for another 15 minutes. This was his last showing in Lake Palestine. He was moving on to neighboring territories. Here, he was too well known as Walter's son.

He sat at the kitchen table strumming his fingers. Beside him was his laptop, camera and briefcase. This particular house did not generate much interest. He glanced at his watch. It was 3:50, another 10 minutes.

The home owner, a pleasant older gentleman, was seated at his study, quietly reading a book. Sheldon always preferred the owners to be present at an open showing, as there were safety in numbers. Sheldon walked over to him.

"Don't be discouraged by the lack of interest. Buyers are more often using the internet to search for houses. I took several photos of the house from different angles. I plan to post those photos and VR footage as well."

"You said VR footage?"

"Oh, yes, virtual reality footage. It's the wave of the future. I capture shots with this VR camera and post the link online. Prospective buyers, those with headsets, can view your house that way. It's 3 dimensional and interactive, almost as though you were there."

"No kidding, I'd love to see it."

"Stop by my office next week. I'll be happy to show you."

"Absolutely, thank you so much Sheldon."

"I feel confident you will be getting some serious offers soon."

"Let's hope so. . . . I'm going to take a walk in the park. Will you lock up?"

"Certainly. "

Sheldon was turning off the lights in the back room, when he heard the door creek open and the click clack sound of high heels against the hardwood floor.

"Hello Don, it's been a long time."

He knew that soft, seductive voice all too well. His mouth dropped. His eyes nearly popped out of his head!

"Ssss ummer." He could barely get out the word.

She was dressed in a tight, micro-mini leather skirt and a silk blouse. She tossed her blouse on the floor, stripping down to her camisole top.

"You didn't tell me you were rich, Don."

"Uhh." He was speechless.

"You left me all alone on that hilltop. Tell me, why did you do that? I told you I was just kidding."

"Uhh."

"Did I scare you?" She spoke slowly in a whispery voice, as if to emphasize the importance of every word.

She slowly inched her way forward until she was just inches away from him. He walked backward.

"I could teach you a thing or two about comedy. Have you heard? I'm going to New York. I'm going to headline at Comet's."

"I heard," Sheldon managed to say.

"Shhhhh." She placed her index finger on his lips. "Enough talk. Let's pick up where we left off three years ago."

She continued to walk forward backing him into the walk-in closet. With one smooth motion she ripped off his shirt. All his buttons came tumbling down. Sheldon fell under her spell. He knew he should try to escape, but he couldn't move. He was weak and defenseless. She pressed her luscious lips against his neck. Her hands explored his bare chest.

"Police!"

The officer looked around and slowly made his way toward them. He stared at Summer, all decked out in her high heels and skimpy attire.

"Ma'am, do you have an interest in this house?" He clenched his jaw, trying very hard to keep a straight face.

"Of course, I was touring the house and-----"

"Is that your red Subaru parked on the street?"

"Well, yes, but......"

"The neighbors reported someone parked along the curb for more than an hour. Why were you in your car for more than an hour?"

"Uh, I was waiting for---"

"Let's go."

She grabbed her blouse, turned around and glared at Sheldon.

If looks could kill, Sheldon thought.

The officer grabbed her arm.

"Come with me. I'm escorting you off the premises."

The officer walked Summer to her car. She flirted with the officer before driving away. The officer returned to the house.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes, thank you, officer. You arrived just in time."

"We all heard about you. You're Walter's son, the realtor who has to fight them off with a stick."

"Word gets around."

"Yes, that young lady is one hot number. I won't repeat what she said to me before she drove off. I can see what she did to your shirt," the officer said with a grin.

"Tell me about it," Sheldon said, as he picked up the buttons off the floor.

"I heard you are engaged."

"Uh ..........yeah."

"Once the word gets out that you're married, you won't be attracting all these women."

"That's what I'm hoping. Thank you, sir."

Later that night Sheldon just wanted to relax, forget the night, and go to sleep. The phone rang.

"Hello Sheldon."

"Victoria, I was just thinking about you."

"I just wanted to let you know I'll be leaving for the keys tomorrow."

"The keys? Florida keys? Why?"

"I'll be with the local Habitat for Humanity chapter. We'll be repairing the damage from hurricane Alvin. Besides, it's a good chance for me to brush up on my carpentry skills."

"How long will you be gone?"

"10 days."

"10 days? That long? How will my dad do without you?"

"He's got me covered."

"I'll miss you."

"I'll be back before you know it. "

"Oh, don't you need a ride to the airport?"

"No, I have a ride. Thank you anyway."

He hung up the phone and closed his eyes.

Victoria was polite, but there was a lack of feeling in her voice. She was only calling because she felt obligated to inform him.

I really need a talk with Dad, he thought.

.