Chapter 7 - At the Station

The officer shuffled his papers and stared at Sheldon from across the table.

"What can I do for you, son?"

"Uh, well, I was on a date, at Rocky's, with this young lady. At one point she told me she murdered her last boyfriend. She saw the shocked expression on my face, laughed hysterically, then told me she was only kidding."

The officer showed no reaction. "Why didn't you believe her when she told you she was joking?"

"It's not that I didn't believe her, exactly, it's just that I barely know her, and I was scared."

"Are you sure she didn't say, "I would have killed my last boyfriend.

"No, killed, past tense."

"Had either one of you been drinking?"

"She had a glass of white wine. I had nothing."

"All right, is there anything else you want to add?"

"Yes, she, uh, I think she was trying to kill me, too."

Uh, huh. Why do you say that?"

She suggested we sit on the edge of the hill to enjoy the view. It might have been her plan to get me into a state of shock so she could easily push me over the edge. She might have succeeded if I had not moved very quickly."

"Is she a big, powerful lady?"

"No sir, she's rather petite."

"Were there other people around?"

"Yes, as I recall, there were a few bypassers."

"Is there anything else strange about her behavior?"

"Nothing else that night, but when we first met at the convenient store she seemed quite "scatter brained."

"Look son, I apologize for this line of questioning. I know I'm sounding rather skeptical, but the fact is, we don't have the manpower to chase down every lead that comes our way. And especially with social media out there, we get bombarded with every type of crime and confession under the sun. We just don't investigate unless we can connect the person to the crime, only then does a confession become significant. But you did the right thing by coming forward. Now, what I will do is file a report, just in case. I will need to ask you a few questions about this young lady."

"Certainly."

"What is her name?"

"Summer."

"Last name?"

"I don't know it."

"Do you know where she lives? Her phone number."

"No."

"Uh, ok, where does she work?"

"She told me she has two jobs, but I don't know. I do know that she drives a red Subaru."

"Ok. How is it you know so little about her?"

"We met at the convenient store where I work then and decided to meet at Rocky's. I cut the date short when I ran off. I only knew her for about 2 hours total."

"I see, I would advise you to avoid contact with her. But if you do hear from her,  and she continues this behavior, give us a call. Here's my card."

"Thanks for coming forward. And, uh, be careful out there in the dating world."

The officer stood up, extended his hand, and wished Sheldon a good day.

Sheldon walked to his car. Once inside, he rested his head on the steering wheel. That interview had really been uncomfortable. He wished he had never gone to the police station.