↳ CHAPTER THREE

SLIGHTLY INTOXICATED PROMISES had been made, and the last thing Kai expected to wake up to the next morning was Lucifer spamming him with messages and a flood of misused emojis, but the Devil certainly hadn't forgotten about their agreement

SLIGHTLY INTOXICATED PROMISES had been made, and the last thing Kai expected to wake up to the next morning was Lucifer spamming him with messages and a flood of misused emojis, but the Devil certainly hadn't forgotten about their agreement. Although no one had gotten absolutely drunk — well, except for his roommate — Kai had to admit that in the heat of the moment, he had possibly sworn on too much. Not that it mattered, because by now, it was too late to back out and the vivid picture of Chloe's face when he'd solve the case she couldn't, fueled him almost as much as his sugary coffee.

"There's a murderer called the Sinnerman?" Kai spoke out in disbelief as he sat on the passenger seat of Izzy's car with his nerdy travel mug in one hand, and his phone in the other. Lucifer's messages had made it more than clear that the Morningstar had made an enemy out of someone with an inconvenient name, and after gulping down his coffee along with his dignity, Kai huffed. "Welp, I gotta do some mild, totally unrelated adjustments to my Tinder profile."

Chuckling from behind the wheel, Izzy lifted an eyebrow at the man but elected not to say anything, perhaps out of gratitude for Kai's promise to stop by Maze's apartment to pick up a few essentials. Truthfully, the Nolan was severely intimidated by the woman he had nicknamed Lady Leather Pants — until he had realized that made Izzy's girlfriend sound like a dominatrix — but agreeing to go along had gotten him a free ride to work and a sweet, sweet donut to destroy on the way.

"So, other than your partner, do you have any family in L.A?" Izzy inquired while effortlessly steering her car down the right streets until they were deep into the suburbs, fittingly enough.

Unable to hold back a laugh, Kai shook his head. "If you knew my family, you'd know how ridiculous that question is. They wouldn't leave New York if their lives depended on it. I kinda broke the mold that way", he thought out loud, supposing that in comparison to his conservative family, he had always been the risk-taking, open-minded one. "But back there, divorced parents. Step-mom. Sister. My precious Rutt and Tuke", he recalled with a wistful sigh at the memory of his dogs. Naturally, his sister had kept him updated with a ton of photos, but it hardly compared to actually getting to hug the only children he had so far.

"Well, whenever you're in the mood for some cuddling, I've got Thor at home", Izzy promised with a smile as she pulled up on the right driveway, effectively silencing Kai who only stared back in disbelief until she continued, "my dog."

Kai didn't even try and hold back a gasp as he stepped out of the car and cradled his own face. "We should go to the pog—dog park someday!" he screeched, and immediately approving the plan, Izzy shared his excited grin while heading for the front door.

Needless to say, when they finally made it indoors only to be met by a child, Kai was caught beyond off-guard and rendered motionless on the shiny floorboards as a little girl ran towards them. "You came!" she cheered at Izzy before wrapping her tiny arms around the significantly taller lady's legs and then moving onto Kai with a wide smile. "High-five!" she yelled, and although surprised, he didn't hesitate to slap his hand against hers as a greeting.